Enjoy every sandwich Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Picacio, John » Enjoy every sandwich « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Picacio
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 04:16 pm:   

I saw something on VH1 late last night and it really stuck with me while I was working today. I saw a segment of a video diary on the late Warren Zevon who died Sunday of a rare form of lung cancer.

It was a video diary chronicling the last months of the guy's life. He know he's only got weeks left to live and he's trying to finish his life in the best ways he knows how...mainly, by writing and recording a last album of songs.

Frankly, I'm not a Warren Zevon fan, but the dignity and humor with which this guy faced death was really admirable and beautiful. I was barely aware that he had died on Sunday, but here it was on Monday night, I was watching the makings of his last efforts on Earth and I felt saddened by his passing.

During the video diary, Zevon makes his last televised performance on the David Letterman show. Zevon knows he's dying. Letterman knows he's dying. They're old friends. Letterman asks him, "What do you know from your current perspective that I don't know?" Zevon thinks for a moment and says, "Enjoy every sandwich. I wish I would have enjoyed every sandwich."

I thought that was so perfect. So all day today, I've been thinking, "Enjoy every sandwich."

Words to live by, if there ever were any....

Lou Anders
Posted on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 07:04 pm:   

Panera Bread makes something called a Frontega Chicken Panini. I think that's my sandwich, though as a kid it was the Monte Cristo, if only for the name and the book association.

Chris Roberson
Posted on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 09:06 pm:   

All I know is, sandwiches make Baby Atkins cry.

John Picacio
Posted on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 09:35 pm:   

What the --? You guys crack me up.

Way to go, fellas....nice of you to comment a year to the day of my original post. But I appreciate the love, nevertheless. :-)

Man, I had forgotten all about this thread. Well, I guess for the record then I'll have to state that if me squeezed between two leggy supermodels won't count as a favorite sandwich, then I'll have to go with the muffalettas at Central Grocery in New Orleans.

So there you have it...

Minz
Posted on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 07:20 am:   

I had a lovely Cuban for lunch yesterday, and I enjoyed every bite.

JV
Posted on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 07:37 am:   

I make sandwiches out of meat. I make the bread out of meat. I make the mustard out of meat. I make the lettuce out of meat. I make the tomatoes out of meat. I make the onions out of rings of meat. Then I put meat on it and sculpt it into a helmet and march out into the neighborhood secure in my meat helmet...

JeffV

John Picacio
Posted on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 07:58 am:   

Minz -- Terrific as always hanging out with you out there in Boston....congrats again on the Editor Guest of Honor spotlight at the '05 ArmadilloCon...can't wait for that....good times a' coming!!! By the way, sorry to hear about AD, but we'll save that for Lucius' football threads...

JV -- It sounds perfectly natural to me....sounds like a perfectly logical extension of the Atkins philosophy to me....heck, I'm surprised I wasn't surrounded by meat helmets the entire WorldCon weekend since most of my friends are Atkins Cult Members...:-)

Andrew Fox
Posted on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 12:17 pm:   

I like to get a big, thick corned beef sandwich once a year. No mustard, no lettuce, just rye bread and lots and LOTS of meat (marbled, preferably). Kosher Cajun Deli in Metairie, Louisiana should be sending me an email any day now, telling me that I'm due for a visit. I'd have my annual big corned beef sandwich to break my Yom Kippur fast, but that never works out -- one's stomach shrinks after 26 hours without food or water, and just two bites of GCBS (Gigantic Corned Beef Sandwich) suffices to fill one up, despite one's mental desire to eat the whole thing. Plus, Kosher Cajun Deli is closed on Yom Kippur. So there goes that idea, in any case.

Matthew Rossi
Posted on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 12:35 pm:   

I enjoy sandwiches. Any food item invented so as to not interrupt whoring and gambling, I can get behind.

Say, John, if you see this, could you email me at matthew.rossi@gmail.com because I have a question to ask you.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration