New kid on the block Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Picacio, John » New kid on the block « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Picacio
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 11:39 am:   

Hey there, everyone --

I already know some of you in this Night Shade neighborhood, but some of you may not know me yet. I'm John Picacio.

I'm an illustrator. The bulk of my work is for the covers of books, magazines, and CDs. If you want to see some of the work I've done, feel free to check out my website at www.johnpicacio.com.

Feel free to stop by my board anytime. It's good to be here amongst all these fine folks.

Best,
John

Jeremy Lassen
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 11:48 am:   

Welcome aboard John! How was Armadillo Con?

For anybody who doesn't know, John is the Artist/Designer who has created some truly outstanding jackets for Night Shade. Check out his latest masterpiece, which will be gracing the forthcoming Graham Joyce novel, The Stormwatcher.

http://www.nightshadebooks.com/stormjacket.jpg

-JL

Lucius
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 11:51 am:   

New kid on the block? I see you more as an N'Sync kind of guy, John. :-)

Good hangin' with you at Acon...

Mike Jasper
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 11:52 am:   

Hey John! Welcome! I've been enjoying your work w/ Golden Gryphon, and it's nice to be able to tell you to your (virtual) face.

Slick website, too. Love the cover for THINGS THAT NEVER WERE, as well as for Lucius Shepard's TWO TRAINS RUNNING.

Hope you keep busy making new stuff!

jeff ford
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 12:09 pm:   

Hi John, great to see you here! Hope all is going smoothly. Nice interview and reproductions of your work in the International Studios mag.

Best,

Jeff

John Picacio
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 12:32 pm:   

7 I'll email you the write-up so that you can get a quick recap. Or heck -- I guess I could post it here on the board as a separate thread so everyone can access it....what do you think?

2. Lucius -- Dude, leave it to you to jump all over me with that boy-band smack!! Man, after I hit "send", the thought of that unfortunate and unintended boy-band connection crossed my mind, but I figured "no one'll pull that one." Sure enough -- here comes Lucius to bring down the hammer! Too funny, man!

For the record, I'm more of a Clash/Rage Against The Machine kinda guy. Those are the kinds of boy bands that make it into my CD player.

3. Mike -- Thanks for the good word, man. Much appreciated. Glad you dig the cover illo for Lucius' TWO TRAINS RUNNING. I'm partial to that one as well. The book is a fabulous read and I'm sure you know that the story "Over Yonder" is in that collection....the same story that won the Sturgeon Award recently. I think that book comes out in March 2004. Right, Lucius?

4. Jeff -- Hey, bro -- thanks for stopping by...hope all's well over there in Jersey! Thanks for the love.....hey, before I forget, you and Lucius are mentioned in my NEWS update on my website now that I think of it. Go check it out before I put up the next new update. I gave a little love for your WFC nominations and Lucius' Sturgeon.

www.johnpicacio.com

You know the drill.

Catch you later.

John Picacio
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 12:35 pm:   

Note from John:

The above message got truncated for some reason. Here's the part that got chopped off.

I'll check back a little later tonight, but I couldn't resist giving a shout-out to the folks that just dropped by.

1. Jeremy -- Hey, man! ArmadilloCon was a blast. I did a little write-up in the NEWS section of my website. I'm currently putting up a new NEWS section every week. So that ArmadilloCon write-up is already gone, but it'll be back for access when I start archiving these things very soon. Right now, every week an update comes and the old one goes. But the show was great fun for me. I'll email you the write-up so that you can get a quick recap. Or heck -- I guess I could post it here on the board as a separate thread so everyone can access it....what do you think?

Chris Roberson
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 01:04 pm:   

> Or heck -- I guess I could post it here on the board as a separate thread so everyone can access it....what do you think?

Post away, John.

Laura Anne
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 01:18 pm:   

Hey John, welcome!

-- Laura Anne

John Picacio
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 01:33 pm:   

Hey there, Laura Anne!

Hope you and Jen are doing alright over there! I imagine you're both in prime TGIF mode right now. Here's hoping all is settled down over there after all that blackout madness you experienced last week. Brutal!

Lucius
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 07:17 pm:   

Hey, John,

I won't ask about that Justin Timberlake CD cover you're doing... :-)

'The Clash...yeah. That's redemptive. I'm not too much into Rage recorded--I like em live, though. I'm listening to a lot of weird Latin stuff right now. About the straightest thing would be Cafe Tacuba. Great band. I guess the early punk stuff from Aterciopelado isn't that weird -- listening to them, too.

And yup, TWO TRAINS RUNNING is a March 2004 book....

Laura Anne
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 07:31 pm:   

John,

Jen was on vacation in the Carolinas when it hit, sitting back with a beer and laughing at the news. She'll pay for that, she will....

Once we got over the 9/11 shakes everyone in our part of town suffers from in situations like that, it was all copasetic. Walked down to the ferry, took it across to NJ, and then waited around with thousands of my closest friends eating pizza and drinking warm beer while we waited for our rides to show up/the busses to depart, watching the cops cruise by in the dusk. It was very much like something out of a Springsteen song.

It probably will _be_ a Springsteen song, at some point.

John Picacio
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 07:58 pm:   

1. Lucius --

I'll have to check out those bands....Cafe Tacuba....Ateriopelado....I'll look into those ASAP....man, I'm the one with the Latino blood, but I would bet money that with all your Latin American excursions, you're probably so much more hip to the pulse of what's relevant in Latin American music right now...more than me at the moment....I appreciate the knowledge...

Speaking of what's not hip, are Justin Timberlake's fifteen minutes up yet? Do me a favor and wake me when that dork's done ripping off All Things Soul. (I can't believe you've got me commenting on Justin Timberlake! You're bringing me down, my man!)

2. Laura Anne -- You crack me up. You're so right about that Springsteen bit. That scenario IS tailor-made for a Springsteen tune. Holy cats! I can just see him now -- with that trembling lower lip and constipation in his vocal chords -- belting out some angst-ridden ballad about the night the lights went out. You're right. That's a Springsteen tune waiting to happen. I'm a witness! You called it first!

Lucius
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 08:16 pm:   

John,

Cafe Tacuba. Check the albums, RE and GRAN EXITOS . RE is kind of a mixture of punk and norteno and all kinds of shit. Aterciopelado, you need to be cautious. Some of their later stuff is too poppy. When I get my back straight, I'll have a friend cut you a disc. I listen to a lot of Latin American stuff when I'm working on certain stories, and there's some really cool stuff.

No more Justin Timberlake stuff. I swear. The guy should die. What can I say.

jeff ford
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 08:40 pm:   

John: So, you updated the website recently. It looks great. Thanks for the kind words. Are you going to be in DC for WFC this year? If so, will see you there.

Best,

Jeff

John Picacio
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 08:53 pm:   

1. Hey, Lucius --

Sorry to hear about your back, man. I hope that works itself out really soon. Boy, that's a tough one to work with on your birthday. Hope it gets better.

2. Hey, Jeff --

Yeah, I'll be in DC for WFC, for sure. Really looking forward to it. I'm going to miss WorldCon in Toronto next weekend, though. I'm skipping that one this year, but I'll be doing WorldCon in Boston next year.

Glad you dug the website! It's still a work-in-progress. It'll be more complete within the next few weeks, but I really dig the direction it's going right now.

Tonight, I'm working on a cover for a James Morrow collection called THE CAT'S PAJAMAS & OTHER STORIES. Great stuff.

I need to drop by your board and see what's new in Ford Land. I'm aware of the ARGOSY short story (congrats) and the forthcoming Night Shade collection (we ride again! Jason sent me some of those stories yesterday and I'll start reading very soon! Can't wait to do another cover of yours! What an honor!) I'll drop by later this weekend and see what else is new.

Luís
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 09:46 pm:   

Cheers, Mr Picacio! Welcome to the NS boards, glad to see you here!

Best,
Luís

Lucius
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 10:18 pm:   

Nice website, John. It gets more techno, shit's going to reach out of the screen and grab people.

The back's cool--just a bad muscle pull.

Jersey Grrrl
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 03:14 am:   

Hey. Grown men talking about Timberlake, even to diss him, should not be dissing on the Boss, okay?

Especially not when he's travelling with E Street.

John Picacio
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 05:38 am:   

Hey, Jersey Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl --

Good to hear from you!

Certainly no offense meant toward the Boss. But yes, LOTS OF OFFENSE meant toward J.T.! All I have to say is I blame it on Lucius and Laura Anne for bringing these folks up in the first place! :-)

Seriously though -- Laura Anne was right about Springsteen turning that whole blackout episode into a song. I've gotta give her that one. Springsteen can milk something that into a grinding seven-minute ballad. You watch! I bet she's right!

Alright -- so enough with the Springsteen talk already -- Springsteen's certainly respectable -- but just do me a favor, and the next time you see the Boss up there in Jersey, PLEASE pass that guy a laxative, OK?

I thank you. And I'm sure he will thank you.

John Picacio
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 05:43 am:   

And by the way....hey there, Luis! Good to hear from you! This Night Shade Discussion Board is quite the neighborhood, isn't it? I think I'm gonna like this place.

minz
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 07:30 am:   

I turn my back for less than a day . . . and a friggin _artist_ moves into the neighborhood. WTF!
I thought this was supposed to be an all-beige, trimmed-hedges, no-lawn-longer-than-1.23" kinda place.

Ah, what the heck! At least it's someone with craploads of _talent_.

Good to see you, John. Sorry I wasn't at 'dillo to share some alkeyhall with y'all.
Welcome.

John Picacio
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 08:45 am:   

Hey, Jim --

Yeah, this looked like a good neighborhood so I decided to stick around. I promise not to go Edward Scissorhands on my hedges or paint my house purple. At least not until the second week I'm here.

How are you, man? Yeah, ArmadilloCon was a great time this year. You and Tor always throw those great con parties, especially at ArmadilloCon. We missed you out there. However the Minz party spirit was carried on. My pals and I got together and threw our own big Saturday night bash. Never done that before. Lots of alkeyhall. Lots of good people. It was big fun.

Really looking forward to World Fantasy. I imagine you and Tor will be there in full force?

minz
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 01:13 pm:   

I read your con report--sounds like a beyootiful bash you had.

As for WFC, I'm hoping to go . . . it'll be on my own dime, so Sondi & I will have to dig through the couch and count the pennies before I know for sure.

And I'll be greatly disappointed if you don't at least pull a little Ed Wood, if not a full Edward Scissorhands on this joint. This is the place for it. (The link to your page was certainly a great start. Looking forward to keeping my eye on that place, as well as here.)

LeslieWhat
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 02:28 pm:   

Hey, John. I was lucky enough to have a story illustrated by you for RoF. One of my favorites, really. Looking forward to seeing more art and bookcovers and stuff.

John Picacio
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 02:57 pm:   

1. Jim -- I really hope you can make it out to DC for WFC. I think it's going to be tremendous. What's new in your world of work? What are some of the projects you're working on that you're excited about these days?

2. Hi, Leslie -- Nice to hear from you! OK. I'm going to admit something here. I think you've got me stumped! What story did I illustrate for you in RoF? Do you remember what issue it was? I've definitely heard of you, so I would think that I would remember illustrating one of your stories! I've illustrated stories in that mag for Kate Orman, Jan Lars Jensen, M. Shayne Bell, Devon Monk, and Leigh Kennedy. Those are the ones I remember right off the top of my head. I'm curious!

LeslieWhat
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 09:09 am:   

I may be deluded. It wouldn't be the first time.

Richard Parks
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 10:44 am:   

Hi, John. Was nice to meet you at the WFA Banquet. Helped make for a pleasant evening.

John Picacio
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 04:11 pm:   

Hey, Richard!

Same goes for you, man. You're a class act. I'm glad we met!

Stay in touch for sure, OK?

Send me an email at
john@johnpicacio.com

and let me know your email address so we can stay in touch, in case someday we don't have this venerable board to rely on (perish the thought).

Best,
John

Richard Parks
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 08:18 am:   

Done. And keep us posted here on what you're working on. People are interested in that kind of thing. :-)

Neal Stanifer
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 11:24 pm:   

Hi, John,

Honestly, I didn't know you from Adam (not Adam Picacio, but an entirely different Adam). Nathan Ballingrud pointed you out to me. I guess he met you at WFC.

I just checked out your work. I have one thing to say. DAMN! And, um, keep up the good work.

John Picacio
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 05:27 am:   

Hey there, Neal --

Thanks very much for the kind words. Hopefully next WFC, you and I will cross paths.

As far as my work, stay tuned. There's a lot more where that came from. :-)

Thanks again for stopping by! Stay in touch....

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 09:55 am:   

Hey, John....You no like football no more, man?

I just got back from my world tour. :-) England, France, NYC...I had some interesting times. It was good hanging out a bit at WFC and watching a game or two. Hope it's all good with you. I got some email stuff for you, so I'll catch you on the board later....

John Picacio
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 09:03 am:   

Hey, man!

Thanks for the love. I'm getting ready to dive back over there into the football fracas on your board in a few moments.

I'll be posting an update here sometime later this week.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 07:44 am:   

Happy New Year. man...

You sure were right about the Horns...

Have a great 2004!

John Picacio
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 11:34 am:   

Hey, Lucius --

Happy New Year to you, man!! Seems like 2003 was a pretty solid creative year for both of us....let's see if we can keep the momentum rolling right through '04!! :-)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration