Ligotti Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Cisco, Michael » Ligotti « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dawn Barowitz
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 08:55 am:   

I wonder if you've read Ligotti's latest book from Mythos. What did you think of it? It seemed different in tone from a lot of Ligotti's other work.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Michael Cisco
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 09:56 pm:   

I'm not sure - you mean MY WORK IS NOT YET DONE? I've only read the title story, and not recently, but I remember vividly the impression it made on me. I really think it one of his very best pieces; it unfolds with a magisterially controlled pace through a series of immaculately-planned stages, but, what's even more impressive, he's blended this really bracing control with powerfully expressed emotion. The story unfolds entirely within one deep, bitter, reverberating mood growing steadily darker and vaster until the end. While I've never faulted Ligotti's work, as some have, for coldness, this piece is so exceptional because it focusses and concentrates feeling that is both intense and lucid. I'd have to read it again to make any more specific comments.
One more thing - the systematic revenge plot is one of the hoariest; in MWINYD, Ligotti pulls it off beautifully. The deaths are not separate set pieces; they flow together into a sort of symphonic development. The whole thing is just a tour de force, completely brilliant.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register