Drumroll, fanfare for Dr. Cisco Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Cisco, Michael » Drumroll, fanfare for Dr. Cisco « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nurse Neckbone
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 10:23 pm:   

Ladies and Gentlemen,

It is the very great pleasure of we here at Neckbone Industries to announce that Michael T. Cisco, author of The Divinity Student, The Tyrant and much much more, and lately a prominent contributor to the Thackery T. Lambshead Pocket Guide to Eccentric and Discredited Diseases, is now a doctor for real!

He has won through prowess and valour - or at any rate somehow gotten his mits on - something called a Ph.D, which we at Neckbone at first understood to be a Doctorate in Phlegm, Phimosis or Phossy Jaw, but have been given to understand is in fact a Doctorate in Philosophy.

At his graduation, Dr. Cisco will be appearing in a purple robe adorned with darker purple velvet chevrons, some sort of ceremonial shawl or poncho, and a puffy hat of the kind that looked so, well... puffy... on Henry VIII. We can't wait to see the photos.

All that guff aside, we offer Dr. Cisco our admiring congratulations, and we wish him absolutely the best in his future endeavours.

jeff ford
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 10:52 pm:   

Dr., great news. Congratulations! That's no mean feat. Onward!!!!!

Doc Skids
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 01:13 am:   

Onward!!! To the unemployment office! Avanti!

paulw
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 04:03 am:   

Congrats, Doc!

Lucius
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 04:04 am:   

Conga Rats, Michael...Now comes the hard part. I remember John Kessel telling me that if he were still teaching after ten years, to drive down to North Carolina and shoot him. Ten years have passed and though needless to say, John still lives, this may be considered a cautionary tale....

Best o'luck....Now hit the bars! :-)

Minz
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 06:00 am:   

Congrats. (I hope this doesn't mean you'll be overcredentialed for the next Lambshead guide.)

And Lucius, while John may still live, I did see he had a noticeable limp at WFC--did you just wing him deliberately (i.e. fulfill the letter of the agreement by shooting him nonfatally), or did your conscience simply effect your aim?

Robert Devereux
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 06:49 am:   

Congratulations.

So are you the only Lambshead contributor who can really claim to be a doctor?

rwexler
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 07:38 am:   

Dr. Dude! Congrats! Does this mean you can stop reading dead people?

The Wex

Ole Doc Whozis
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 10:58 am:   

My thanks to all the above!

Wex - No, it means now I have to write deadening things about them as well as read them, damn it.

RD - Schaller is a fellow Phudd, I think. That, or he's pulled off one hell of a snow job on several universities ...

Lucius - Normal Human Being: you tell him stove is hot, he says oh and doesn't touch stove. Me: you tell me stove is hot, I have to touch stove to see for myself.
For that matter, the Normal Human Being is generally employable, whereas I belong to the contingent of hardcore unemployables for a variety of reasons not the least of which is something that might generously be called er uh "mental abstractedness." Less generously "benighted space-cadetism."
Jeff Ford teaches at a community college, and he doesn't seem to be begging for the bullet, and neither is Schaller, so there are at least two counter-examples.

Anyone ever see this movie whose name I can't recall with Danny Kaye as a musicologist? All the oddly-named and -accented and -whiskered professors involved in his research project live together, like the seven dwarves, in a Victorian rooming house, brandishing fingers, arguing over airy trifles, clutching lapels and pincing pince-nezzes. Those were the days ...

Forrest
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 02:15 pm:   

Congratulations, Michael. So does this mean you'll be moving from NYC? If so, any notion where?

Jeffrey
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 02:42 pm:   

Dr. Cisco, could I have your current email address off-board?

Mock-Doc Jeffrey Thomas
necropolitan@msn.com

And CONGRATULATIONS!

Luís
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 09:01 pm:   

Woo-hoo! Congratulations, Dr Cisco!

Eric S
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 11:30 am:   

Dear Doctor of All Things MacroNautical and MicroAnthropological--

What happens now? We know where you've been but where are you going? Will you, as those above query, remain in NYC?

I should mention, re: teaching and writing, that my lifestyle balance is a bit different because I teach science and try to eke out time for writing fiction. I think it's quite a different kettle of leeches to both teach and write fiction. Jeff Ford, as you mention, is probably one of the best at pulling off that balancing act, and seemingly derives some strength from his students. There are of course counterexamples, otherwise known as The Friends of Lucius :-)

Michael Cisco
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 06:14 pm:   

I am a mystery wrapped in a potato chip. The future is wide open, even terrifyingly so. I will not, most likely, end up teaching creative writing, but English literatoor. Will advise, as (and if) things develop!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register