In the works Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Cisco, Michael » In the works « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Michael Cisco
Posted on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 01:34 am:   

Of the three unpublished novels:

The Golem is currently slated to appear from A Small Press (nameless here for the time being, for discretion's sake), but not for a while. The Tyrant is, apparently, inching toward publication, while The Traitor is somewhere in train behind it.

Secret Hours, my short story collection, is undergoing some reformatting and should be available er in a while.

John Ford of Terror Tales will be publishing an item of mine in an anthology of contest-winning stories.

I have, I believe, five bits in the forthcoming Lambshead Guide. My essay on Thackery Lambshead - "The Gleaner in Hippocrates' Tread," ought to appear on the Disease Guide website soon.

My first contribution to Bloom's Major Authors, a book in which I (don't laugh) have to summarize Proust, appeared last month. I have another, this one about Thoreau, due out soon, and one on The Scarlet Letter pending.

The dissertation is forging doggedly onward, and I continue to work, when possible, on the fifth novel - The Great Lover.

Luís
Posted on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 05:01 am:   

Hi Michael,

Haven't had the chance to tell you, but I loved the "Reminiscence" in the Lambshead chapbook. Definitely one of my favourites. I can't wait to read your other three pieces in the full edition.

Cheers,
Luís

Stepan Chapman
Posted on Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 07:59 pm:   

Ah, the Doctors are gathering. One hears a flapping sound, as of crows.

Michael Cisco
Posted on Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 09:54 pm:   

*flash* - my essay on Henry David Thoreau has just been published, courtesy of Chelsea House books. It isn't terrible.

forrest
Posted on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 11:47 am:   

Thoreau isn't , or your essay isn't?

Michael Cisco
Posted on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 09:00 pm:   

Thoreau is great. My essay isn't bad.

Michael Cisco
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 03:22 am:   

More news - my story, "The City of God" (any resemblance to a current film about Brazil being entirely coincidental), is slated to appear in Leviathan IV, last I heard. And a short piece of mine, "The Scream," will be published in Album Zutique.

Michael Cisco
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 03:38 pm:   

Flash -

My second novel, "The Golem", will be appearing in Album Zutique #3, a little less than a year from now.

And keep your eyes open for THE TYRANT, destined to appear in (evidently) the very near future from Prime.

If you listen carefully, you can hear my hatband creaking as my head swells and swells ...

Forrest
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 09:00 pm:   

Double yay!!!!

But you may want to stop flashing in public . . . or at least warn us so we can avert our eyes!

Forrest

Jordan
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 07:53 am:   

Oi. I enjoyed the your story in AZ#1, but I can't find THE DIVINITY STUDENT anywhere. Such is life, I guess.

JeffV
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 08:17 am:   

Try

www.buzzcitypress.com

You can order it there. It's still in print.

JeffV

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 08:22 am:   

I got a copy through Buzz City a few weeks ago. The people there are very nice. I hope to get to the book soon, but I have other things in the way for the moment.

JK

Robert Devereux
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 12:34 pm:   

I got it from Buzz City over the weekend. I had already read it (I was shocked to find it at my library), but needed my own copy.

For some reason, when I read the Divinity Student, I kept thinking of the characters and the city as looking like the stuff from the Brothers Quay.

KJ Bishop
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 01:33 pm:   

Michael, if you experience cranial enlargement, you can always try the old line, 'My head is so big because it's so full of dreams...'

Congratulations!

JeffV
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 02:55 pm:   

Actually, Divinity Student got a starred review in Publishers Weekly when it first came out. My wife, Ann, who published it through Buzzcity, got tons of library orders. In fact, the first print run sold out within months, a lot of them library orders.

JeffV

Michael Cisco
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 04:02 pm:   

Thank you all.

a) I was going to say something to the effect that no one was going to take my flashes away from me without prying them from my cold dead hands, but then thought better of it.
b) Is it still possible to pick up the DS on Amazon.com, or have they started being buttocks about it?
c) I frequently run across comparisons with the Quay brothers, but I don't believe I had seen any of their films, nor had I read Bruno Schulz or Robert Walser, at the time I wrote the book (1992).
d) Kirsten - [brandishes a bottle of diet shampoo] I expect this will do the trick ... *%)
e) Actually, Jeff, I attribute much of the DS's success to the genius of those persons, ahem, who promoted and publicized, nudge, it.
Those library orders, incidentally, meant/mean a great deal to me.

MC

Jordan
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 07:12 pm:   

"b) Is it still possible to pick up the DS on Amazon.com, or have they started being buttocks about it?"

No, it's not still available through Amazon. And they've got two buyers waiting for used copies to become available.

Michael Cisco
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 10:08 pm:   

Harry O. Morris' beautiful cover art for The Tyrant available for reckless eyeballing at the Prime site, albeit a little small ...

Michael Cisco
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 10:20 pm:   

Well I'll be switched - been totally remiss in keeping abreast of events.
Here's the latest on everything:

A) The TYRANT will appear this Autumn(ish), from Prime Books.
B) The Lambshead Guide, in which this quiet-living country doctor is given entirely too much ramblin'-slack, is of course on its way.
C) The Divinity Student and its sequel, The Golem, will be published in a single volume entitled THE SAN VENEFICIO CANON, slated to appear next Spring, from The Ministry of Whimsy.
8) "The City of God" will be appearing in Leviathan Four, this Spring.
D) THE TRAITOR, slated to appear in 2005, from The Ministry of Whimsy.

SECRET HOURS still pending - this, I should point out, is entirely my fault at this point. Haven't had time to give it the onceover for David Wynn, on accounta I'm finishing up my dissertation and working on the novel number five.

The dissertation, incidentally, will be worked up for publication: SUPERNATURAL EMBARRASSMENT - The Polemic Between Science and the Supernatural in the Writings of Nathaniel Hawthorne, Edgar Poe, and Herman Melville. Novel number five: THE GREAT LOVER. Any queries welcome!

jeff ford
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 04:00 am:   

Michael: I'm looking to order a copy of The Tyrant. Will Prime be offering it on Amazon or B&N? I didn't see it listed yet on either.
Really looking forward to The Golem. Will there be illustrations by Morris accompanying the reprint of The Divinity Student and will The Golem also be illustrated?

Best,

Jeff

Mastadge
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 06:44 am:   

The Tyrant (and its cover) are up on Shocklines.

Amazon.com usually doesn't list Prime titles until they've been released. Also, unfortunately, Amazon.com doesn't tend to offer a discount on Prime titles, with the exception, for some reason, of The Etched City.

What can we expect from THE GREAT LOVER?

Michael Cisco
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 03:45 pm:   

Jeff - As far as I know, the SV CANON will not be illustrated at all, but John Coulthart is doing the cover ... However, SECRET HOURS features several Morris illustrations and beautiful cover art, and of course the TYRANT has a Morris cover. I'm trying to maintain my association with Harry, because his sensibility dovetails so nicely with mine, and well just look at the results for Pete's sake!
THE GOLEM proved to be my red-headed stepchild, my problem book. I wrote it principally because I just couldn't rid myself of the DS and associated characters, but it took a great deal of perspiration to knock THE GOLEM into shape.

As for availability - Mastadge knows more than I do! I'll wager that KJ's book is discounted because Bantam has picked it up, but I could be wrong.

I'll say this about THE TYRANT. When I give in to hypochondriac fantasies about immanent death, I think to myself (among a few other things a bit too personal to mention) "well, I wrote The Tyrant, and that's the book I wanted to write."

THE GREAT LOVER - More in the vein of The Tyrant, which I know doesn't describe it at all. I've been working along at the GL for a couple or three years now, slowed by the dissertation. The further I go along, the more like poetry my writing becomes - all close-ups, loosely-assembled episodes. I worry, because it seems this kind of writing doesn't have the appeal of my earlier work, but what can I do? It's what excites me now.

As to the content - the eponymous character is much like the DS, the Golem, the Tyrant. I've wanted to write something about love for some time, not exactly a love story but a story with a real (as opposed to a sentimental) love theme. The love that emerges in the Tyrant strikes me as real, and this is one of the things that makes me happiest about the book. The GL goes further into this, but it's also about a subway cult looking to establish its own reality, and two characters are mad-scientist's-machines, the Prosthetic Libido and the Prosthetic Death. (A little excerpt is available on the General board under works in progress or something like that).

jeff ford
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 09:10 pm:   

Mastadge: Thanks for the info. Shockline proved to be a most interesting site. I want to score a Banana Christ t-shirt for my son when I return, which will be soon.

Michael: I'm a big Divinity Student fan, so red haird step-child or not, bring on that Golem.
"I worry, because it seems this kind of writing doesn't have the appeal of my earlier work, but what can I do?" No apologies necessary. Let it rip. If the writing wasn't idiosyncratic and original it wouldn't be you and I wouldn't be interested. I realize I can pick up The Tyrant at World Fantasy. I look forward to all of this new work. Best of luck with it.

Bjoern Quiring
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 03:40 pm:   

Michael: We've been talking on Tuesday 14th after the reading. Can you recommend by now a most efficient way to order the 'Divinity Student' (or other Cisco products, for that matter) in Germany?

(My E-Mail-address is 'b.quiring@web.de'.)

Michael Cisco
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 01:08 am:   

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/shocklines/tynobymicibh.html

follow, or cut and paste, the above link to pre-order The Tyrant (this is the work from which I read on the 14th) -
- your best bet for the Divinity Student would be to approach the Ministry of Whimsy directly - refer to "The San Veneficio Canon" - I'm not certain, at this time, whether there is any provision for pre-ordering, as the book will not be published until next spring.

Otherwise, you may look into the Lambshead Guide of Eccentric and Discredited Diseases, due out from the Ministry this month, and into Leviathan III and Leviathan IV. I appear in both.

viel Gluck!
(you'll have to imagine the umlaut)
MC

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 02:02 pm:   

Michael -- just finished SVC. Fantastic, You want a blurb? If so, where do I send it?

MTC
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 03:24 pm:   

Holy cow would I want a blurb! Send it to Ann VanderMeer -

annk@alphadatasystems.com

I'm tickled you liked it!

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 03:37 pm:   

Thanks Michael!

Michael Cisco
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 06:16 pm:   

The new novel, entitled THE GREAT LOVER, is now finished. Watch this space for updates as to its fate in the world of publishing (but don't hold your breath).

rwexler
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 07:54 am:   

Hey Michael--congrats on finishing! From the title, I'm assuming it's autobiographical?

Robert

Michael Cisco
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 02:27 pm:   

Now Wexie, baby, surely you can draw on personal experience for the answer to that question ...

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register