Hal Clement -- RiP Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Gilman, Laura Anne » Hal Clement -- RiP « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Laura Anne
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 12:01 pm:   

Hal Clement (Harry Stubbs) has left us.

Raise a glass, gentlefolk. Raise a glass.

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 12:23 pm:   

Hal was a great guy. Remained a fan his whole life, which is very cool. When I found out what kind of writer I was (this is a online quiz) I was Hal Clement, Style Monkey.

Laura, let's hold off, have a toast to Hal on Saturday night. I want to be there.

JK

Laura Anne
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 12:33 pm:   

JK --

I suspect that there will be many toasts, all weekend...

After being turned off SF as a teen by Certain Writers, Hal's NEEDLE brought me back. I had the good fortune to be able to tell him that a few years ago.

He blushed.

Liz
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 01:02 pm:   

He was the only person ever who could make me think that some centipedes might be okay.

Nick Mamatas
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 09:41 pm:   

When I go to cons, I choose which panels to go to not by subject but by the panelists.

Mr. Clement was one of my must sees.

Fewer panels for me now. My thoughts are with his family.

Laura Anne
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 05:38 am:   

According to the memorial website, donations in his memory may be made to Joslin Diabetes Development Office, 1 Joslin Place, Boston, MA 02215 or to St. Michael's Episcopal Church, 112 Randolph Ave., Milton, MA 02186.

Pieter Visser
Posted on Friday, December 03, 2004 - 01:49 pm:   

As a nine-year-old boy, who loved reading all sorts of books, I read my very first sci-fi novel—Needle. It opened a whole new world for me (in fact, hundreds of new worlds). Thanks to this wonderful sf-mystery, I came to know and love Azimov, Heinlein, Clarke, and so many others. Even after all these years, however, I still clearly remember Needle. (We always seem to vividly recall that first time, don't we?) Thanks, Hal, for a delightful lifetime of fun and discovery. You'll not be forgotten, for I know there are many others like me who will continue to enjoy your stories.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register