WFC Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Gilman, Laura Anne » WFC « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Laura Anne
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 06:37 am:   

So, I'm booked for the following items:

"Passionate Crossovers." (Combinations of romance with the fantasy, horror, and sf genres are becoming commonplace. Is this something new or an intensification of something thatís always been around? What are the pleasures and pitfalls of these crossovers?) Friday, 4-5pm. I'm moderating. Oh boy. *rubs hands together*

"Judgesí Panel" (aka the "the best defense is leaving early" panel). Come by after the banquet and hear the 2003 judges defend their choices and call each other rude names...

I'll also be at the mass signing, assuming our dinner plans work a they ought (hah!) and I will have copies of "Harvey & Fifth" (from FLESH & BLOOD 12) with me for those who nominate for Nebulas or Stokers or what have you... (shameless, shameless, damn right I'm shameless)

Mike Jasper
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 07:26 am:   

Cool -- looking forward to the Friday afternoon panel most of all. I'm glad I'll be getting there Thursday instead of Friday as originally planned. I'll be taking notes...! :-)

Laura Anne
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 11:38 am:   

Okay, 7 am every morning, the hotel gym. Who's there with me?

Mike Jasper
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 01:56 am:   

Hmm... ah... hrm...

I'll probably be somewhere close to the hotel lobby, tapping on my laptop at that hour. I figure I'll get enough exercise walking 'round the con and the city. At least, that's my story and I'm sticking to it...

LAG, former WFC judge
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 06:48 pm:   

Well, it turns out that that gym didn't open until 8 am on the weekends. Bastids. But I gotta tell you, the gym's an excellent place for a writer to be... the time I was there I saw (other than myself) three editors and one bookseller sweating out the night before...

And if you're ever in DC, go to Bistro Bis. Yum. And Yum.

But now WFC's over, I'm totally wiped out, and while pleased with the results of the judging I would thank all the nominees to get the hell out of my study now.

(in fact, all submissions can feel free to exit out the back door. I'd like my life back now, if you wouldn't mind.)

Laura Anne
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 06:50 pm:   

Oh, and the panel was packed, had a really good response, and I wish wed been given a little run-on time because I think we could have gone on for a bit longer... Thanks to everyone who stopped by and asked good questions and supported me in my bid to keep dragging it back to dark fantasy and horror crossovers rather than just romance. *grin*

Jay Caselberg
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2003 - 09:29 am:   

Congratulations on never having to do it again!

John Klima
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2003 - 11:32 am:   

Congratulations on your excellent choices!

JK

John Picacio
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 05:34 pm:   

Hey, Laura Anne --

Congrats on it all being over. Solid, thoughtful choices all around in that winners list....

Not an easy task, I would imagine.

Congrats on having your life back. :-)

Laura Anne
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 06:19 pm:   

>Congrats on having your life back.

As much as it's ever actually mine...

Had a round of WFC slow-leavers in the office today, including fellow-judge Justin, who came by to *gasp* glom more books for the long plane rides ahead of him. Good lord, the man's not ready for to rest his eyes for a few months?

(to be fair, he took mainstream horror and SF with him -- not a fantasy title in the bunch)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register