On editing -- the joys of the day job Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Gilman, Laura Anne » On editing -- the joys of the day job « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Laura Anne
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 08:55 am:   

Ah, publishing. That lovely, close-knit, back-stabbing.. oh, *ahem* Sorry about that.

August in publishing is such a delightful thing. If the person you need to talk to isn't on vacation, they're either getting ready to go on vacation (and insane) or just back from vacation (and insane), and the person they need to check in with before they get back to you is...

yep, on vacation.

On the plus side, August means you can, ideally, get a lot of work done. Which is good, as I just had three manuscripts land on my desk, two of which need to be read for revisions/acceptance, and one in dire need of a line edit. And then there's the pile of stuff that's been dumped on us that has to be done... soon. If not sooner. Except it's nothing but paperwork and impacts our real job of feeding the production schedule not at all.

Except that it's more stuff to do.

And yet I slog on. Because... well, because I love the books. And I love getting the books out to other people who love the books.

I keep reminding myself of that on days like today. Love the books. Love the books. Love the ...

*settles back into editing mode, slowly releasing the deep-seated need to throw some people out the window...*

Laura Anne
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 09:39 am:   

And then an author sends you flowers, just because they're happy with the job you're doing for them, and the day is just a better place, isn't it?

I think I feel kind of teary. Don't tell anyone or my rep will be shot...

Nick Mamatas
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 10:54 am:   

Flowers is all it takes? I was going to send meat! Christmas meat, in August!

Ellen
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 11:08 am:   

Hi quality steaks, please ... Sirloin. Yum. My favorite!

Laura Anne
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 05:20 pm:   

What can I say, I'm (relatively) easy. Although I've never ever turned down a steak. Or chocolates. Or a fine single malt.

The thing is, flowers smell better for a longer period of time.

Laura Anne
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 05:22 pm:   

And the line edited manuscript has gone into production, and I'm 2/3 of the way through one read-for-revisions, and damn it, I'm still behind, with WorldCon chuffing at my heels. Need another day in the week wherein no meetings or crisis are allowed....

Laura Anne
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 01:36 pm:   

Read for revisions done. Another book due on Friday.. won't be. *sigh* Authors and deadlines. What is it with that?

(this author's usually pretty good, actually. She's quite humiliated at having blown the deadline).

And the small joys of the job proceed apace. Got a slew of copy sheets to approve (flap and back cover copy), and lots of otherwise joyous paperwork to process. Some days I swear I feel like Upper Management. *shudder*

Laura Anne
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 11:46 am:   

from an author's e-mail (reposted with permission)

"...everyone asks about "my editor."
They seem to think we have long conversations over
cognac about semicolons and whether or not you can use adverbs in dialogue attribution. I had to explain that you work like a token ring computer network... 'Laura Anne is an overtaxed resource allocator who can only devote a slice of time to me before immediately going down the line to the dozen other authors until my turn comes up again.'"

I've promised him at least one good adverb argument at WorldCon.

Liz Williams
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 04:03 pm:   

So we can stand around in a ring yelling 'FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT!" (as used to happen in school) while you debate adverb usage.

"She's an editor. Let her through!!"

Laura Anne
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 01:48 pm:   

Arrrgggghhh.

Budget time. Excuse my crankiness.

Still. Could be worse. I only have to deal with my one imprint. The poor folk in Operations are still in there, hammering and slugging and swearing...

minz
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 08:35 pm:   

My sympathies, Laura Anne. Hope it goes as painless as possible.

And remember, you can always chuck it all and become a full-time writ--I almost got that out without soda coming out my nose.

Seriously, good luck.

Laura Anne
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 11:49 am:   

Well, another co-worker has given notice. She's leaving the industry entirely, fleeing the city and doing Something Else. *grumble*

Publishing has always used people up and tossed them aside, so I suppose I should be glad that my friends have the sense to get out before they're chewed up. But, selfishly, what this means to me is more work, since a departing editor's workload is typically distributed among the remaining staff.

*clears off desk for incoming files*

I made a vow to myself long ago that I would stick to it as long as it was fun. I updated that a few years ago to "more fun than not," and that seems to be holding me for now.

Today just happens to be one of those "not" days.

Of course, the date probably has a lot to do with that, too. Walking to the office this morning I was very much aware of the tall twin shadow that's no longer cast over our street...

Mike Jasper
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 01:44 pm:   

Ugh. Bad time all 'round, I'd say.

Hope tomorrow is a "fun" day for ya.

Laura Anne
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2003 - 05:50 am:   

Attention All Authors. I do not, I repeat I do NOT know where your most recent on-signing on-acceptance on-whatever check is. Once I request it, the process goes out of my hands, out the door, and into someone else's to-do pile. I can't budge them; I know, I've tried.

That goes double for authors I'm not actually publishing. Sorry, folk.

*sigh* If it makes y'all feel any better, they're slow with employee checks, too.

Laura Anne
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 05:31 pm:   

Just back from Oregon, where I did a weekend teaching stint at the Kris (Rusch)& Dean (Wesley Smith) show. Spent time not pounding Reality of Publishing 101 into eager young minds talking about the writer/editor balancing act with Kris. Interesting.

Anyway, a good group, with a lot of talent. We'll see who actually survives cracking the shell and leaving the nest.

Liz W
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 01:21 am:   

>We'll see who actually survives cracking the shell and leaving the nest.

As long as they do not devour one another, like eaglets...

Jeremy Lassen
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 09:32 am:   

Actually, that might be good. If a writer eats another writer, does he/she get the talent/creativity that the meal used to possess? Sort of like a Wendigo/writer?

As a publisher, I would like to encourage this type of thing. :-)

-jl

Laura Anne
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 09:37 am:   

jl --

sadly, it would go the other way, too. The consumer would 'inherit' the consumed's lack of talent, inability to hit deadlines, and refusal to like any cover given him/her, no matter how accurate to the scene-as-written...

Liz W
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 10:41 am:   

Also it might depend on the genre. If I, for instance, go forth and devour someone who writes chick lit, would this mean that henceforth I would be incapable of writing anything that isn't about overweight Chardonnay-drinking girls in London and their inability to get a man?

A re-invention too far...

Laura Anne
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 02:50 pm:   

Liz -- you terrify me. Truly.

And the thought for the day is:

"Will no one rid me of this troublesome agent?"

No, they're not so bad. Well, yes, they are. But I'm sure there are good points to their existence somewhere...

But right now my agent-shaped headache won't let me think of any.

Laura Anne
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 06:25 am:   

*sigh* Found out that a company I do busines with has just has a major downsizing. Although they're calling it a restructuring. They restructured my liaison there right out of a job. No word yet on who is now supposed to be working with us...

Laura Anne
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 05:32 pm:   

Today has been evil. And not in the "fun, talk about it over drinks a decade later and giggle" way, either.

Nor is it a localized phenom, as evilness has been spotted in several locations.

So I hereby declare Monday over. Done. Pffft.

It's now beta-release Tuesday.

Which, bloody hell, means I've got to start getting my shit together for World Fantasy. Arggghhh.

*mild panic*

La Diva Loca
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 11:29 pm:   

So, Laura Anne, while you're busy trying to get your shit together for WFC, let me give you something extraneous to think about: when's your next visit to London, and I hope you're trying to schedule it for a second Monday of the relevant month?

If you haven't got a next visit scheduled, why the hell not?

:-)

Laura Anne
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 02:51 am:   

Madame Diva,

Continental just hit us with a one-day sale. Trust me, thoughts of London (also Paris and new Orleans) are much on my mind...

Laura Anne
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 05:00 pm:   

It's official. London. January 16th-20th. No, it's not the second Monday. Sorry :-(

But I'm bringing Esther Friesner.

Start running now.

Laura Anne
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 01:22 pm:   

I need one of those t-shirts they did up after THE SIXTH SENSE came out.

You know:

"I See Stupid People."

Laura Anne
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 06:44 am:   

Short and bittersweet:

On 21 November, I'm going to be taking that scary but emotionally satisfying (oy) step into the freelance lifestyle.

I've loved working with Roc -- my authors are the best anywhere, in terms of talent, dedication, humor and sheer mensch-ness -- but it was time for
a change.

I'm terrified, natch. But also exhilarated.

Wish me much luck, folks!

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 10:14 am:   

Laura! Come to the LAMBSHEAD reading that night and we'll go out for drinks afterward!

Congratulations are in order. May this change be everything you desire and many things you did not expect. Best of luck and arrows of jealousy at the thought of not commuting into NYC anymore!

JK

ellen
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 10:28 am:   

Wow, Good luck Laura.
Hope to see you at SFWA and KGB next week :-)

Laura Anne
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2003 - 04:43 am:   

Ellen,

the mill'n'swill yes. Not sure about KGB -- depends on how exhausted I am. That last week is going to be...tough. Too many people to say goodbye to.

And how the hell do you clean out an office of seven years six months worth of memories? (not counting the stuff I lugged over from Berkley...)

John Picacio
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2003 - 11:01 am:   

Hey, Laura Anne --

Best of luck with the new life! It takes guts to jump off that cliff. Props to you for taking the plunge!

Here's hoping it's everything you imagine and more.

Don't be a stranger!

Mike Jasper
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2003 - 01:00 pm:   

Wow--great news, Laura Anne! Have fun being your own boss. Very cool.

Nick Mamatas
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 09:53 am:   

Freeeeeeeedom!

Good on ya.

Laura Anne
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 09:55 am:   

Well, sort of.

http://www.sff.net/people/lauraanne.gilman/dymk.htm

It's bare bones for now. But it's there. And I'll be at the SFWA mill 'n swill with cards, too.

I've updated the rest of the site, too, for those who haven't checked it out lately.

I think I need to go take a nap.

Laura Anne
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 09:56 am:   

Whoops, somehow lost the first line of that post, which should have been "Web site goes live!"

Definitely need that nap.

Vera Nazarian
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 01:53 pm:   

Wow, Laura Anne, welcome to the fulltime! There must be something in the water that's turning all of us into fulltimers over the last month or so! LOL!

In any case, I know you will do fantastically well, as you are already doing great as a writer! Best of luck and plenty of "significant deal" sales -- to use a term from Publishers Lunch! :-)

HUGS!!

Laura Anne
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 10:52 am:   

Interesting assortment of people coming to dymk productions, indeed. On the one hand, some folk who know exactly what they're getting into, know exactly what they want, and how I can help them to their specific goal. And this is cool, this is fun, this is what I enjoy doing.

Some folk who clearly don't have a clue but are diving in gamely and getting information and I have great hope for these folk because they're being cautious and smart. And even if they don't have what it takes to make it, they're not going to be taken by scams and/or con games.

And then... there are the ones who're going to get taken, clearly. And some of them I've tried to educate, and some of them I've just sent away, and some of them... god. Some of them couldn't buy a clue if you gave them Donald Trump's corporate credit card.

*shaking head* I begin to honestly believe that if you can't/won't learn in the face of concerted effort by others to teach you, you deserve whatever happens. Is that cruel, callous, or just pragmatic? Or a little of all three?

Liz
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 04:11 pm:   

Nah, just karma. Shit happens, and if you open your door and invite it in...expect to have to scrub it out of the carpet.

Laura Anne
Posted on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 03:21 pm:   

Oh for...

*sound of editor tearing her hair out*

Some of my clients are wonderful, talented people who are selling, justifiably. And some of them are... argh-making. However talented.

Like my current joy, who is brilliant at storytelling -- but can't seem to limit herself to one or two or five viewpoint characters.

If I can get her trained, though, she's fricking talented. So I slog on...

*slog slog slog*

Laura Anne
Posted on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 07:35 am:   

Well, d.y.m.k. productions is offically booked through the end of June. I think this is what is known as being a successful freelancer? Doesn't suck.

I'm probably going to be taking August off to do the book launch thing (the west coast tour is starting to take shape nicely). It will be nice to have an entire month where nobody else's work will be landing on my desk with a weighty *thud.*

Jay Caselberg
Posted on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 07:49 am:   

Ahh, a book tour. Now that would be nice.

Anyway, congratulations on bookedness in more than one way.

Laura Anne
Posted on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 12:53 pm:   

A book tour courtesy of frequent flyer miles and friends with places to crash, anyway. Although I am getting some lovely promises of support from my publicist. We'll see if that actually occur, said she who knows from the inside out what the publicity department's promises are worth.

I should add press releases to the list of d.y.m.k. services. I've written at least as many as your average book-publicity twink.

Laura Anne
Posted on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 06:55 am:   

I still strike fear into the hearts of writers, apparently. This according to a client who just said to me: "Editor so-and-so told me the same thing. But I'm scared of you, so I'll do it this time."

Good to know.

In other news, I think it's a given that everyone wants to be needed and appreciated. So it's nice to get correspondence saying "we need you, we appreciate you."

On the other hand, I would very much prefer that certain folk were doing their jobs in such a way that would not require these no-longer-my-people to e-mail me to ask questions and seek reassurances.

*grumble*

Laura Anne
Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 06:04 pm:   

Just this afternoon at lunch I said to my lunch companion, I said "lunch companion, I ain't takin' on any more clients until July. Or maybe November."

So of course I get a call from a publisher this evening saying "can you meet me Friday for breakfast with the person I want you to take on....?"

*hitting head against wall*

Of course I'll meet them. I'm a freelancer, aren't I? I got bills to pay, retirement plans to fund, medical insurance to retain....

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register