The Retrievers series Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Gilman, Laura Anne » The Retrievers series « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Laura Anne
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 09:55 am:   

I realized, as I was posting upstream, that folk who don't also visit my newsgroup on sff.net won't know what STAYING DEAD is.

So, to clarify.

STAYING DEAD is the first book of three I have under contract to Mary Therese Hussey at Luna, Harlequin's new stand-alone, original fantasy-with-some-romance imprint. They're contemporary fantasy/mysteries featuring a thief named Wren and her partner/agent Sergei, who must deal not only with both sides of the law, but also the various factions (law-abiding and otherwise) of the magical world.

In other words, fun stuff. Not lit'cha'chure. My mother still manages to bring herself to speak to me.

And yes, I'm writing these while holding down a full time editorial job. Insane, you say? Um. yeah. You don't know the half of it...

Updates as they happen.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 07:08 am:   

Hey Laura Anne -- dumb question time -- do these novels take place in our world (like urban fantasy), or another? In any case, sounds very cool, and congrats on the book deal!

Liz Williams
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 07:38 am:   

And I gather there is some short fic in this setting? Where can we find this?

Laura Anne
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 11:03 am:   

Mike,

Many thanks. Still a bit in shock, a month later. A month? Well, six weeks, anyway. It's urban fantasy. Set for the most part in the West Village and points suburban. In this book, at least.

And yeah, Liz, there is at least one Wren & Sergei story sold -- and as often happens in the weird world of publishing, the story will appear after the book comes out, despite having been written and sold a year or so earlier. The book's scheduled for August 04, the anthology (MAGIC & MAYEHM, I believe, edited by Rosemary Edgehill) is scheduled for October 04 from Warner.

I have another story on submission. Haven't heard from the editor there yet. Starting to chew fingerbones.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 10:21 am:   

Very cool. Looking forward to seeing the books. And I dig the title.

Laura Anne
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 05:06 am:   

Mike,

I'll admit, when these books sold to Luna, I figured they'd make me change the title to something a bit more 'romantic.' But no, they're cool with it.

Which is good, as I have no idea what else I'd call this book, it's been STAYING DEAD in my head for so long now. I could do it -- I re-title books all the time in my day job (come up with a good idea once and suddenly you're the expert) -- but it would hurt.

I'm carefully not even thinking about titles for the next books. Not yet, anyway.

Laura Anne
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 04:42 am:   

Forgot to mention here that I sold that second story. *whew*

I read chapter five of STAYING DEAD at WorldCon this weekend past to good response... and everyone who heard the term "cosa nostradamus" had much the same reaction. To wit, writer's envy and hysterical laugher. I am pleased. ;-)

Laura Anne
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 04:15 pm:   

Oh god, I have a cover. Well, a cover sketch, anyway. Totally not what I was expecting, even though they used the scene we discussed and...

It's so darkling edgy _cool_ I'm in shock. In a good way, mind you. But shocky. Who knew Wren was so wicked cool?

Laura Anne
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 01:29 pm:   

Just got my very first ever blurb. I am in high alt.

"The chemistry between Wren and Sergei sparkles, the badinage sparks: if Nick and Nora Charles were investigating X-Files, the result would be STAYING DEAD. These Retrievers are golden."

-- Rosemary Edgehill, author of MET BY MOONLIGHT

Jay Caselberg
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 01:49 pm:   

Lovely, lovely blurb. Congratulations!

Laura Anne
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 05:57 am:   

another newly-arrived blurb:

"Do you believe in magic? You will when Gilman's done with you."
-- Dana Stabenow, Edgar award-winning author of A GRAVE DENIED

I'll admit, I was veeery nervous about sending this manuscript to Dana. I knew that she would spot any weakness in the mystery section of the plotand be merciless about it (after all, I trained her!). The fact that she didn't send it back covered in red ink like a victim out of When Chainsaws Go Bad means a lot to me...

Laura Anne
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 10:42 am:   

an early peek...

http://www.sff.net/people/lauraanne.gilman/coverflat.jpg

Some copy changes still to be made (like dropping in all the blurbs!) but.. yeah. That's it. I like it a great deal. It catches the eye, it has a reasonable amount of accuracy to the text, and it catches the eye. And did I mention it catches the eye?

And I'm told, once embossed, the typeface color will look a _little_ less garish. I've told authors that myself enough times to know there's some truth to it. *grin*

Laura Anne
Posted on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 03:14 pm:   

Staying Dead is available now for preorder at Amazon.com
(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0373802099/qid=1079539556/sr=1-1/r ef=sr_1_1/104-6045560-9500744?v=glance&s=books)

and other, more high-quality joints, online and off.

Jay Caselberg
Posted on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 03:22 pm:   

And doing rather well on Amazon too...

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register