A Salute To The Things That Keep Me Sane Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Cadigan, Pat » A Salute To The Things That Keep Me Sane « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

La Cadigan
Posted on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 05:55 am:   

Okay, sane-ish.:-)

Today's salute goes to Internet radio. Sounds from sites like Live365, ElectronicScene, AcidPlanet, and Epitonic not only keep me running, they sometimes keep me *from* running.:-)

The above does not in any way constitute a complete list of sites with sounds worth listening to. Don't worry, I'll be bigging up more before too long.

La Cadigan
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 10:29 am:   

Today, we applaud things that smell. Never underestimate the power of a good smell to lift the spirit. Here's to things in the realm of the olfactory, in particular Hypnotic Poison in that cute little red spray bottle that fits so well in the palm of the hand. Breathe in!

La Dolce Diva
Posted on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 04:30 am:   

Without pizza, there would really be no point.

PS: Anyone who cares to add something of their own can feel free to jump in. Or not. Your call.

:-)

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 07:41 am:   

Well, since this is like a 'too each his/her own" kind of deal, I'll just state that without boxing and other combat sports,such as Mixed Martial Arts,I would be staring at a stain on the wall, thinking about purple.

Agreed about pizza...

ellen
Posted on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 11:21 am:   

Yeah but NY pizza is the best !! Thin crust--and I LOVE anchovies (I know some of you there will debate this).

Also, really fresh sushi makes life worth living.

And loving kitties.

Laura Anne
Posted on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 03:04 pm:   

Thin crust & anchovies. Yum. And Chinese food in Chinatown. And tenor sax played really well.

And good red wine.

Felines are the reason for living. Mine tells me that all the time.

Chris Dodson
Posted on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 03:39 pm:   

Agreed about felines, but only when they're not prancing all over my keyboard while I'm trying to write.

ellen
Posted on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 04:43 pm:   

The perfect Napoleon (pastry --and they're rare, these days).
The perfect hamburger (well done, the way I must have it :-) )

She Who Must Be Displayed
Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 01:30 am:   

Awright--now we're cooking with gas.:-)

Hey, Lucius--we're sorry you can't get to EasterCon and we won't be hosting you on the futon. But we understand. Boy, do we. Still, we'll miss having you around the flat.

Ellen--God, yes, yes, and yes. Extra cheese and don't be stingy with those anchovies! When Rob was very small, he confused his father and me for several minutes with the insistence that "Daddy doesn't like Aunt Sophie but me and Mommy do." Not having anyone named Sophie in the family at that time, we were completely bewildered until the pizza deliveryman finally arrived.:-)

Laura Anne: You *know* it.

Chris: The royal head of this household, Miss Kitty Calgary, Queen of the Cats, prefers to make herself comfortable by draping her forelegs over my left forearm while I'm writing. I suspect the muscle movements in my arm serve as a sort of "Magic Fingers" device that does not require her to put quarters in a coin box. Which is good, since she wouldn't deign to carry small change even if her fur coat did have pockets.:-)

Today's props go to Annabelle, Real Player's dancing cartoon sheep. While she's not exactly Ginger Rogers, she does have a near-perfect sense of rhythm, unlimited energy, and a wild wardrobe, especially for a sheep. Here's to you, Annabelle--you go, girl!

Liz
Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 01:52 am:   

Seconded on thin crust and anchovies - though on second thoughts, I'll do without the actual pizza and just stick with the anchovies. Puttanesca is a mean mother of a sauce.

Cats: the resident goddess, Sappho, is living elsewhere at the moment but I am still required to go round and pay homage.

Red wine, oh yeah, and good scotch. And sushi, yes, that too.

Lots of other things keep me sane, actually, but among the more mentionable of them at the moment are: -living by the sea
-yoga
-other people's good novels
-really stupid telephone conversations

What *really* keeps me sane are my family and friends.

Liz

LeslieWhat
Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 10:58 am:   

Pizza in Oregon is suspect. Scotch-yay. The children are especially good for keeping my own problems in perspective, although some might argue that they are part of the problem. The dog, as always, is perfect in every way.

Sanity comes from family, art, music, reading, and play. Last night was the Jell-O Art show. All of my art entries failed (I tried making jewelry but when Jell-O dries, it not only gets incredibly hard (Mohs scale 8) but it changes shape and my beads turned into lethal weapons. I tried another thing- something encased in a gelatin block, but the gelatin was too thick to see through, so I remelted it and thinnned it but then the mold wouldn't unmold and I had a puddle. I was about to give up but talked myself into remelting the jello and trying again at 3:00 in the morning on Saturday and I dressed up for the show and saw old friends and it was wild and fun and reminded me about joy.

ellen
Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 11:53 am:   

Leslie,
So what were the other entries like?

Laura Anne
Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 03:27 pm:   

On cats: Pandora (and some day, damn it, I will have a cat named Sir Napsalot or somehing) has determined that there are two perfect spots to sleep.

1. On my left thing, where she can be exactly the right amount of weight to distract me, or
2. Sitting at the endge of the keyboard, so that typing quickly requires cat-bumping.

And, of course, choosing between those two spots requires her to walk back and forth not only across my lap but along the back of my chair and all over my desk. And picking her up and moving her is just part of the challenge.

Leslie -- it's sort of reassuring that you're always going to be the weirdest person I know.

Laura Anne
Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 03:29 pm:   

*sigh* Left thigh. The left thing is something else entirely and I wish the person who left it with me would reclaim it already.

Bob Urell
Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 08:57 pm:   

"Pizza in Oregon is suspect."
Everything in Oregon is suspect, said the guy from right across the Columbia.
Cats are cool, but I haven't had a good one since my favorite got disappeared by the coyotes. Her name was Wookie and she used to lay quietly on the desk in a little ball. Contrary to what Leslie says, good pizza can be found o'er here, but you have to know where to look and the secret handshake at the parlor changes weekly.
Over all, early Spring and Fall in the Northwest, long evenings spent reading out on the deck, greasy, messy Reuben's with extra sour sauerkraut and Ben & Jerry's Chubby Hubby. These are a few of my sane-making things....

LeslieWhat
Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 10:52 pm:   

Wow. I just finished off the last of the Chubby Hubby to make the house ready for Passover.

Unfortunately, my camera is not working, so I didn't get any pictures, but here's a partial summary of the show (which might be more than anyone wants to read):

A group of women I've known since the 70s (Eileen and I fell into a bad crowd) sponsors the longest running Jell-O Art show in the nation. The show was listed in Saveur magazine and was also spotlighted in Carolyn Wyman's book on Jell-O. The exhibit is open to anyone with a idea that can be realized in Jell-O. It features a tacky food buffet. Items placed in the buffet must be legally edible. The food always goes quick, though last night's tuna surprise was the lone bit to last until the end.

The theme this year was Funky Jell-O. Few artists conform to the themes, but this year was especially unthematic, I think becuase most of us seemed to have missed the funk era. The first exhibit, by Celeste Le Blanc, was a glittering glitzy gelatin shirt. Celeste has done a series of gelatin clothes over the years that start with netting soaked in gelatin and then built up into spectacular displays.

One of the exhibits was a Jell-O map with states made of red Jell-O if they voted Republican and blue if they voted Democratic in Y2K. There was a fortune teller with hands made of gelatin, holding a wooden box with a glass plate you looked through to foresee the future. My personal favorite entry was a tribute to one man's kidney stone, with the urinary system (not to scale) from start to finish depicted in a rainbow of Jell-O, and colors not found in the rainbow. There was a bowl of spring Jell-O blossoms, and a deli tray with cold cuts made from Jell-O.

This year, because of the publicity generated by Saveur mag, the gallery fielded questions from reporters nationwide (slow news day?) and we were asked to write our Tacky Food Buffet recipes down for future news. I'll post the link when they are posted at the gallery site. I dipped marshamallows in powdered sugar icing. Cheez Whiz was the most nutritious item on the table. There were hard boiled eggs in aspic and Jell-O chocolates and celery stuffed with Jell-O and lots of colorful foods (again, often colors not seen in rainbows), many of them with extremely high sugar contents. It is amazing what people will eat when it's free.

An art history professor from the U of O assigned her class to go to the show, so there were scores of young studious visitors taking notes.

One more thing I should say is that the walk from the car to the gallery can be treacherous to the Jell-O artist, and many an exhibit has slipped off its display plate only steps from safety. Under the hot gallery lights, a good share of exhibits melt, which reminds me that there were a pair of high platform shoes made from Jell-O, shoes, and fruit, but sadly, one of the hells melted.

Laura Anne, I could introduce you to folks closer to home :-)

La Dolce Diva
Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 01:28 am:   

Today's shout-out is a double-header:

1) Three cheers for peroxide when wielded by a skilled hairstylist and colour expert. I am now blonder than I have ever been in my life and quite pleased.

2) Big ups to those who have posted here, with a special honourable mention to everyone who took part in the Jell-O Art Show. I don't know any of them, I've never seen it, and I'd never even heard about it before Leslie's account. Nonetheless, I'm extremely thankful there are such people in the world.

Bob Urell
Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 05:06 am:   

Yeah, there's always room for Jell-O sculpture.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 05:16 am:   

You know, I'm absolutely chagrined that no one else seems to be a fan of mixed martial arts combat fighting. :-)

Hey, Pat...y'all have fun in Brighton....

ellen
Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 08:30 am:   

Pat's going to Seattle, I think not Brighton.

Pat, did you get my email?

Deborah
Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 10:02 am:   

Lucius, Pat asked for things that keep one sane-ish, not things one is a fan of, and they aren't the same. Fer instance, I am a fan of college football, but it mostly makes me crazier.

La Diva Loca
Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 03:54 pm:   

From the Not-Sane Dept.: my internet provider has been down since shortly after my previous post until just now. I may never get through my accumulated email and stuff to answer.

But no, I'm not going to Brighton. I'll be in Seattle the weekend after Easter. I won't be at the Nebulas because we have to have my mother moved out of her flat and into ours by the end of April, which means packing enormous amounts of everybody's belongings into cartons and putting them in storage.:-)

None of the previous paragraph would seem to belong here. However, I have to say that not having to find the wherewithal to support two separate households is definitely going to keep me sane.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 05:46 pm:   

Deborah, yeah, but that's because you're not a Miami fan.

No, seriously, the sight of large persons pounding the crap out of each other makes my stress levels drop...

ellen
Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 07:36 pm:   

Pat,
Email me. Eileen Gunn and I want to know who long you will be in Seattle.

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 08:37 am:   

Pat, I'm among those e-mail checking in on an introduction. Let me know :-).

JK

La Cadigan
Posted on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 09:23 am:   

Another day of non-service from my internet provider. I wish they'd call ahead and reserve their down time.:-)

Today, I salute seafood soup, whatever kind it was that Chris heated for me in the big white mug. Also Chris, and his astounding ability to read my mind.

Stay tuned, I'm trying to get myself together...

ellen
Posted on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 04:50 pm:   

Pat, please contact me!

La Diva Loca
Posted on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 02:52 am:   

Today's salute: April showers. I love rain.

Chris Dodson
Posted on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 10:49 pm:   

Re: Annabelle the RealPlayer Sheep (better late than never, I guess.)

YES!! Finally, someone else who loves Annabelle! Back when I was using my roommate's computer, nothing would piss him off more than when I would change his RealPlayer background to Annabelle. I especially like the little UFO that flies down every once in a while.

Yep, Annabelle's a fine gal (and I'm not just saying that 'cause I'm from Alabama.)

Rob Eubanks
Posted on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 10:23 am:   

nighttime walks, thunderstorms, music, and thai food (Evil Jungle Prince, 5 hot!) keep me sane, with a little help from my friends and Queen Gizmo the first (my cat)

great thread :-)

La Cadigan
Posted on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 02:57 am:   

Chris--Annabelle, si! It was love at first sight. I go for punk-glitz Annabelle, with the purple mohawk, matching wool, and gold earring. Watching her get her groove on always cheers me up.

Rob--Ain't it the truth.:-)

And just to keep Annabelle dancing, today we give it up for the wealth of choice from RealPlayer in the area of internet radio. 245 stations playing Dance and Techno--my personal favourite category, though there are plenty more to choose from, including world and classical. 365Live has even more but only RealPlayer has Annabelle.:-)

Jay Caselberg
Posted on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 03:14 am:   

One of the things that keep me sane, Mistress Cadigan, is knowing that tonight I get yet another monthly dose of your magnificence.

See you at Borders.

Chris Dodson
Posted on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 03:44 pm:   

As far as Internet radio goes, I'm a huge, huge fan of RadioIo. They've got a whole bunch of stations, including '70s, '80s, Acoustic, Ambient, Beat, Boogie, Classical, Country, Eclectic, Edge, Hip Hop, Jam, Jazz, Pop, Rock, World, and a multimedia channel called StudioIo. Best of all, it's completely ad-free. Membership plans range from Basic ($5.00/month) to Partner ($20.00/month), and all the plans have a bunch of neat freebies. Very cool stuff.

Chris Dodson
http://www.livejournal.com/users/loveboatcaptain/

Laura Anne
Posted on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 05:19 pm:   

Half-price chocolate rabbits, the day after Easter. There's nothing like chewing on an ear and a paw to make the day seem a little more... well, chocolate-y.

La Cadigan
Posted on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 01:57 am:   

Jay--Aw, shucks. Thanks, I needed that.:-)

Chris--I know RadioIO. When our financial situation stabilizes, I plan to join up. In the meantime, I'm an Ad-Free listener at Live365, which also has a multitude of channels in a multitude of genres. Ad-Free listening is a flat $4.95 for everyone.

But what I really miss is MP3.com, which was taken over by CNet and is in the process of being reinvented--probably more expensively.

Laura Anne--Roger that. The only thing better than chocolate is twice as much chocolate for the same price.:-)

La Diva Loca
Posted on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 02:04 am:   

Today's salute is to last night's event at Borders. Great guests--the Jeffs, Ford and Vandermeer--and great audience. I'm sorry I couldn't go on to the pub with everyone--I don't know how I strained this muscle in my back but I did and it *hurts* to breathe. It's a weird place to strain a muscle, too. (A mini-salute to ibuprofen.)

Next month, as I said, we are moving from the second Monday of each month to the second Tuesday. I'm planning a very special event--stay tuned.

Liz
Posted on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 06:35 am:   

Great stuff last night, Pat. BTW, we did go to the Ben Crouch and very appropriate it was, too - we even got seats, by the usual method of glaring at strangers and spitting in their drinks and coughing ostentatiously over them until they ran away.

Hope you're feeling better. Back pain is just grim.

Posted on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 04:32 am:   

Today's salute goes to Anadin Ultra, ibuprofen gelcaps. Courtesy of my back and its pulled muscle. Jeez.

La Cadigan
Posted on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 08:44 am:   

A salute to Leftfield's Rhythm and Stealth cd. Just the thing to listen to during spring cleaning.

John Klima
Posted on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 06:29 am:   

Pat, I need to get in touch with you, can you send me an e-mail?

John Klima

Whomever
Posted on Saturday, April 17, 2004 - 05:48 pm:   

Hi, John--buried in work--use my usual address.

Posted on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 02:41 am:   

A salute with extra flourishes to Miss Kitty Calgary, Queen of the Cats.

If you are not owned by a cat, no explanation is possible. If you are, no explanation is necessary.

La Diva Loca
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 01:29 am:   

A standing ovation for my husband Chris Fowler. But that's hardly surprising. He was initially vetted by Miss Kitty Calgary, Queen of the Cats, who loved him on sight.

Chris Dodson
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 05:51 am:   

Since we're talking cats, I'll throw in a tribute to my owner, Doofus the Masturbating Cat, who has (in addition to his titular eccentricity) the ability to quack like a duck whenever he wants attention.

God bless ya, Doof!

Chris Dodson
Journal: The Passion of the Chris

Laura Anne
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 01:55 pm:   

I'd normally nominate Pandora, but she woke me at ungodly early yesterday morning with the unmistakable sounds of feline gastronomic distress. Since she didn't actually worf in my shoes, I'll forgive her. Eventually.

Today's sanity-break came about via an impromptu stop for a pedicure and a visit with the salon's elderly Manx, who is named Hoodat. Life's good.

La Cadigan
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 02:41 am:   

Props to London rain.

I love the rain, something that seems to be genetic, as far as I can tell. My grandmother loved to take long, solitary walks in the rain. Of course, considering she had seven kids and often two other adults besides herself and my grandfather sharing the house, I can understand the appeal of 'solitary.'

This particular tendency skipped a generation--my mother doesn't have it--but apparently it doesn't skip regularly, as my son loves the rain as much as I do.

Some people don't have sense enough to come in out of the rain. The rest of us are simply exercising our freedom of choice.:-)

La Diva Loca
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 02:48 am:   

Addendum: A salute in advance to whomever comes up with a wi-fi/Bluetooth/whatever device dedicated to receiving Internet radio. So I can walk in the rain *and* listen to Club 80s with DJ Lex on Live365.com.

If you read this and then run off to develop just such a device, please remember who gave you the idea. And then in the years to come when you think of me--and you *will* think of me--wire me a couple hundred each time, will ya?

Liz
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 08:53 am:   

It's pissing down here too, Pat.

I also like rain but living here, you have to.

La Dolce Diva
Posted on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 02:02 am:   

Let us now praise famous men...opause.

Famous or infamous men who react to certain feminine issues by screaming like girls and running away (also like girls) should avert their eyes now.

Here's to life *without* PMS. Now I know why so many of the older women I see are smiling. It's *not* just the relief of not having to wear spike heels.

Liz
Posted on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 03:25 am:   

Amen to that, Pat.

I do look forward to not having the instincts of a serial killer on a regular basis (and so, I'm sure, does everyone around me). Although there are herbs that help.

An Infamous Man
Posted on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 04:30 am:   

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*runs away screaming*

Laura Anne
Posted on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 06:48 am:   

Heh. One of the things that gets me through life relatively sane is that I basically have a 36 hour period where I'm vaguely annoyed, but nothing more than that. And I know exatly when it will start and when it will end, every single month.

Yes, I do know how fortunate I am. Especially since menopause hits late in my family.

An Unfamous Man
Posted on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 07:30 am:   

SHREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEIIIIIK!

Liz
Posted on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 08:59 am:   

Infamous and unfamous: wimps!

Take it like men!

An Infamous Man, a.k.a. Chris Dodson
Posted on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 02:24 pm:   

There once was a man over here,
Who had nothing whatsoever to fear,
But when the subject got sticky,
All queasy and icky,
He ran back to his football and beer.

An Unfamous Man
Posted on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 04:31 pm:   

There once was a man over there
who was too insufferable to bear.
But when his wife came up sick
he answered right quick
and made sure it was well she did fare.

Posted on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 12:39 am:   

There once was a man from Nantucket
And the stories about him were greatly exaggerated.

La Diva Loca
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 02:16 am:   

Today, we give it up for coffee.

My favourite Hagar The Horrible cartoon shows Hagar sitting at the breakfast table obviously very much worse for wear after the previous night's pillaging. Goofy Eddy comes along with a coffee pot and says (naturally): "Coffee?"

Hagar: "Yes."

Eddy: "How do you want it?"

Hagar: "Just throw it in my face."

Yeah.

Laura Anne
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 04:11 am:   

And thus I say unto you as I've said unto others:

http://www.partiallyclips.com/pages/archive.php?id=1141&c=1

(this entire site doesn't make me sane, but lets me know it's okay to let it get a little crazy as needed.)

La Cadigan
Posted on Friday, May 07, 2004 - 02:43 am:   

And now, normal service resumes.:-)

Today, I give a standing ovation plus three snaps in the Z formation to my little brother Konrad Walewski, my Polish translator. He has been visiting for the last week and it's always wonderful to have him around.

I'm hoping that when he comes back in August, he'll be able to stay longer so I'll be able to introduce him to even more people.

La Diva Loca
Posted on Friday, May 07, 2004 - 02:48 am:   

And an extra salute today (to make up for the recent dearth) to the British Council, which is covering the cost of my trip to Poland in June. The British Council has been generous not just to me but to several other fine UK sf writers, including the esteemed Gwyneth Jones.

And while I'm at it, three cheers for Poland, one of my mother countries (so to speak), a beautiful place full of lovely people who talk like my grandmother.:-)

Posted on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 02:49 am:   

My husband Chris gets today's salute, in honor of it being our 8th wedding anniversary.

The wedding ceremony itself was a magnificent event, conducted at the Harringay Civic Center in Wood Green. John Clute was my matron-of-honor, while best man duties were filled by Chris's oldest friend (and former girlfriend from his university days), Dora. Our photographer was Judith Clute.

The bride was attired in a chic black tunic and pants ensemble with a gold Japanese silk-screened jacket; the finishing touch was the pair of black London Transport socks. The groom looked dashing in a bespoke suit of classic design and Doc Martins.

After signing all the relevant documents at the registry office, the entire party boarded a southbound number 29 bus for Camdentown and enjoyed a wedding brunch at Ruby In The Dust (now sadly defunct).

That was fun.

Liz
Posted on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 08:20 am:   

Happy anniversary, Pat!

I remember Ruby in the Dust. It was there for ages. Mind you, Camden ain't what it was....

ellen
Posted on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 08:37 am:   

Happy anniversary, Pat.

La Dolce Diva
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 04:53 pm:   

Three snaps in the Z formation to

www.subservientchicken.com

I swear to God.

tricia sullivan
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 02:12 am:   

hey Pat, long timeno--glad to hear the hair's still stopping traffic!

to Lucius, I am a big fan of MMA, just so you need not feel too lonely. In fact I often fantasize about being an MMA fighter, until I remember that when I trained, I was always black and blue all over.

things that keep me sane? something to hit, as hard as possible, preferably with gloves, as per above

Lucius
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 07:33 am:   

...A woman after me own heart... :-)

I have one of the Sugar Ray Leonard Cyber Slam dummies that lights up and cues combinations to wail on.

Most satisfying.

Nels
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 09:30 am:   

Sorry to interject, but what's a "SRL Cyber Slam dummy"?

And does it come with realistic extras, like the opportunity to make a crappy TV show and a couple of grammes of coke lodged safely up its nose...?

trica sullivan
Posted on Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 05:35 am:   

What's it made of? Can you really hit it? I like a good heavy bag myself, but at the moment haven't got anywhere to hang one.

The whole cueing combinations thing, does that translate when you've got an actual guy in front of you? Does it operate for you on an unconscious level or are you busy 'looking' for the lights?

Posted on Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 04:21 pm:   

Hi, I'm not dead yet.:-)

Tricia! Tricia! You kick ass!

Lucius, the mental image of you and your SRL Cyber Slam dummy is...overwhelming.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 09:55 pm:   

Yes it is!

The SRL Cyver Slam has is made of plastic and has a weighted base and yeah, I slam it, but I use hand wraps and regulation fighting gloves. The lights work like openings seen and they don't mess you up for the real thing, I prefer a heavy bag, but my ceiling won't support it. The dummy is blue and bears only a passing resemblance to the original.

And Nels, no extras

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 10:04 pm:   

PS -- I bought this four years ago, so I don't know if they're still made

tricia
Posted on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 07:19 am:   

i tried posting yesterday and it doesn't seem to have taken and now i am like all timid.

what i think i said was we can't hang a heavy bag where we are right now either but steve (my partner who teaches mma--see our website for fun www.morrisnoholdsbarred.co.uk) cut the straps off a cheapo argos one and we throw it around and ground & pound it, hit it in guard and stuff like that. he also at one point had a wrestling dummy made of old clothes rolled up, and duck tape. we called him duck tape man and unfortunately he came to a bad end when we moved house. steve was afraid if anyone saw him they would think he was something kinky....why, i ask you, would any right-minded person think that?

lucius i am so thrilled, i didn't know there was anyone else in sf who even knew what mma is. you make me want to go whack something.

hey pat, you who illuminate borders every month, i can't wait to see you!!! talk about somebody who should be entitled to a free cyberslam on the basis of needing something to hit...

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 06:08 am:   

Tricia, I;m not as adventurous as you or Steve, Just an old guy who likes to beat up a dummy once in a while. But that's very creative, the ground-and-pound dummy. Yeah, I am a total fan of mma. Really like the Russians. Emilienko, Arlovski, Khairotonov,,,,also like some of the lighter guys. BJ Penn, for instance. And am totally looking forward to the Pride middleweight tourney which is on TV here this weekend...

trish
Posted on Monday, July 04, 2005 - 06:22 am:   

Oh boo hoo Lucius we do not get sky--how was it? Middleweights are always the best imho

sorry for hijacking Pat, know you are more of a WWF gal!

Lucius
Posted on Monday, July 04, 2005 - 08:07 am:   

Well, It was great. I think Silva will win again. but he will have a challenge from Arona. Shogun Hua is also good, but he keeps his head too upright, IMO, to survive the final four. Igor Vochancyn (sp) got caught in a guillotine choke by Alistair Overeem, which was a drag, because he's the one guy who could beat Sylva, and I would have loved to have seen that match...but Overeem may be better than I think. He's won his last three matches by guillotine choke. Khairatonov and Crocop fought on the card and both were impressive. Khairatonov is one dangerous person and Crocop fight pretty good for a member of the Czech parliament. His fight with emilienko coming up should be great. Get yourself somewhere you can get sky for the next one. the one that's showing Aug. 28th in the states, because that's going to have the semis and final of the middleweight tournament and Emilenko--Crocop. Yah, zowie!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration