No Kidding, I'm Still Really Not Dead... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Cadigan, Pat » No Kidding, I'm Still Really Not Dead Yet! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

She Who Must Be Displayed
Posted on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 02:49 am:   

But man, has it been a tough couple of lifetimes.:-)

After making a fairly good start here (as some may have noticed), I dropped into inactivity. Well, it was only inactivity on the board. The Diva has been a busy goddess. Those of you who are in London will know that the Borders Books April event will welcome the Jeffs--Vandermeer and Ford--on Easter Monday.

A day later, the Diva--i.e., me, if you're having trouble keeping track--will fly to the US. I'm scheduled to speak at the EMP conference in Seattle on what is apparently the weekend before the Nebulas.

And since I'm sure you're asking, no, I won't be staying on. I can't. I'll be going back home to London as events have taken a turn of some urgency and I can't be away from home for extended periods right now.

To make a very, very long and grueling story short, my mother is moving in with us.

Right now, we are remortgaging so we can finance the construction of a loft extension (which is what they call it around these parts). This will be a mostly self-contained bed-sit, with bathroom. But--and that's a big but, if you'll pardon the expression--this is contingent on our being able to get planning permission from the local council (it requires some alterations to the outside of the building). Right now we have builders visiting and giving us estimates.

We're hoping the council won't have a problem with giving us permission, since none of the alterations to the building will be visible from the street and it won't have any impact on our neighbors.

If we don't get planning permission, however, we'll have to go to plan B, which involves turning our bedroom into granny quarters and relocating our sleeping quarters to another part of the flat.

The council usually takes about 8 weeks to deliver a decision for or against; construction of any kind will take another eight weeks (give or take). And in the meantime, my mother has to be out of her flat by the end of April, no matter what. So we are busily packing away much of our clutter--I mean, belongings--as well as hers and putting them into storage so we can set up temporary living space for her in what is now our living room.

And meanwhile, having to earn a living somehow, I am doing novelizations and media spin-offs for Black Flame Books. Watch for something called Cellular, coming to an Amazon (and other bookdealers) near you in August, when the movie comes out. And then there's a Twilight Zone book with two stories from the new TV series (which I'm not sure is still alive, since it hasn't arrived in the UK yet).

My current assignment? I'll let you know when it becomes official. But I'll be doing two at once, which is going to dominate my schedule and make me even worse at posting on this board or anywhere else. But it beats getting an honest job.

So, in short, it's insane around here. If I owe you an email, a letter, an answer, or some money, I apologize for not getting back to you in a timely fashion.

I'm hoping that once my mother is installed in the living room, I'll be able to see my way clear to writing short fiction again. And I've been trying to finish the revisions/corrections on the long-overdue _Reality Used To Be A Friend Of Mine_ for Tor UK, of course. But the problems--I mean, challenges--I mean, jeez am I tired--events of the last year have been eating me alive. See? I told you I'm not dead yet.

The truth is, I believe that we were put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. This being the case, I am now so far behind that I will *never* die.

Immortally,

La Diva Loca

ellen
Posted on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 07:32 am:   

Hey Pat,
Welcome back to the world--even temporarily. Sorry for the continued stress and hope you get the living situation worked out quickly and easily.

xxoo
Ellen
Your biggest fan !;-)

Richard Parks
Posted on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 12:42 pm:   

Hang in there, Pat.

Minz
Posted on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 06:50 am:   

That which does not kill us makes us stronger . . . and more bitter, cynical and dangerous. All good things.

Steph
Posted on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 08:28 am:   

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Whoever said that should try getting their nipple pierced.

Laura Anne
Posted on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 09:30 am:   

That which does not kill us makes us stranger. Until we're so strange the things that come to kill us take one look and turn away quickly.

Hang in there, Pat. And good luck with the council -- may they be in a benevolent mood when they see your paperwork!

La Cadigan
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 10:25 am:   

Thanks for the good thoughts, everyone. I am now stronger and stranger than I have ever been at any other time in my life. All this and immortality, too. Now I completely understand the meaning of that other old saying, "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." :-)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration