'The Ultimate Cyberpunk' and other st... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Cadigan, Pat » 'The Ultimate Cyberpunk' and other stuff « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tribeless
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 04:09 pm:   

Wow I didn't know all these groups existed.

I was going to call you Ms Cadigan, polite afterall, however, after reading the tone of the postings here, I suspect you would prefer Pat, so I shall take the liberty.

I've several queries, Pat :-)

Firstly, thank you for 'The Ultimate Cyberpunk' (purchased from Fictionwise), I gained a great deal of enjoyment from the majority of the stories, and even better, found some new authors which I've since been reading, most particularly Lewis Shiner (whose writing is incredibily hard to get hold of). You stated in the introduction to the anthology that you would not give a definition of cyberpunk, which is fine, however, this left me at a loss to see why the two very early stories by Alfred Bester and Cordwainer Smith were included. Do you care to comment?

Secondly, the only fiction that I have read of your own is two short stories, 'Patterns' in the above anthology, and recently 'Life on Earth' which is on Sci-fi.com. From those two I actually can't figure out whether I like your writing or not :-), as I found it, especially in 'Patterns', a bit esoteric in places. The two stories certainly have my interest, however, and raise the following couple of queries:

a) Are your novels similar in tone to your short fiction? (Probably an unfair question, so apologies in advance). I guess what I'm getting out is, are your short stories a bit more experimental or 'out there' than your long fiction?

b) (I bet you hate this one). Given my comments above, and that I'm new to your writing, which of your novels would you recommend I buy first (and is it available electronically?).

Only answer if you get the time.

Kind regards from Downunder (New Zealand)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration