I *Love* When This Happens!! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Cadigan, Pat » I *Love* When This Happens!! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

La Cadigan
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 05:27 am:   

I suppose I should have put this in the "Things You Have To Know About Now" topic, but what the hell.

This is actually something I've known about for a while, but what with one thing and another, I've been a wee bit distracted. But it occurred to me just now over pizza (where many of my best ideas are born)that I haven't mentioned this hardly at all to anyone. Not even grammatically.

This is because--and please, be sensitive, I'm outing myself here--I have a mental block about unsubtle boasting. It's not that I don't want to brag about myself...it's that having spent my early life in a gulag for extreme behaviour modification (i.e., 12 years of Catholic school--it's a long story) means I have to find sneaky ways to do it. It has to be in the context of helping the poor or feeding the hungry or something.

Finally, however, I've found a way to brag about this because it will actually do someone else more good. If, that is, it does any good at all, of course.

Anyway, some of you may know about a site called MP3.com, where artists of all statures can put their music online and sell their cds. MP3.com has its up-sides and down-sides for musicians, which I won't get into here because I'm not a musician.

But as a listener, I've found it's a motherlode of great new sounds from a wide variety of artists. I have fairly eclectic tastes, so I surf a lot of different kinds of sounds. This was how I discovered Dead Poets Society, located at www.thedeadpoets.org.

They have nothing to do with the movie. What they do is some fabulous electronic/goth music. Of course, I'm probably prejudiced, but you'll just have to take my word for it when I tell you that I liked their stuff even before I came across a track called "Synners."

Yes, inspired by the book of the same name.:-)

And they even did a video.

The video has nothing to do with the book--it's an original story of their own. I emailed them to tell them how flattered I was--still am, just for the record.

I've bought their cds, of course--they bought my book so it's only polite.:-)

Anyway, it made my day. Still does.:-)

La Cadigan
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 05:23 am:   

Latest addition to the list of welcome events:

Lucius Shepard visiting London.:-)

Lucius left this morning for Nantes after spending a few days with us. A few days definitely ain't long enough!

Lucius, you're on the standing invitation list--i.e., all you have to do is tell us when you'll be here.:-)

lucius
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2003 - 04:09 am:   

HI, PAT...

Thanks. I'm gonna do my damndest to get back for Eastercon. I really enjoyed staying with you and Chris, and catching a whiff, however brief,of Lomdon. And I really appreicate your kindness to a jetlagged scifi bum. I'll emailyou when I get home -- I'm in NYC now

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration