Hi, I'm Not Dead Yet-- Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Cadigan, Pat » Hi, I'm Not Dead Yet-- « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cadigan, Pat
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2003 - 01:59 am:   

Got a good excuse?

Put it right here, boyz and girlz. I think it's about time we had an online collection that we can all easily consult.

Cadigan, Pat
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 09:19 am:   

Okay, I will resign myself to the ugly truth that no one has a good excuse for anything. What the hell.

But I'm going to go ahead and use the topic anyway, because I happen to feel somewhat spiffy after a tougher-than-usual week. Chris and I are about to head out for a surprise birthday party (whose it is I won't reveal until after the fact).

And I have just completed Step 2 in my plan for world domination: completion of movie novelization manuscript. So next year, kiddies, when a movie called _Cellular_ opens at a screen somewhere near you, with Kim Basinger, William H. Macy, and Jason Statham, among others, you can maintain your apres-viewing glow by reading the novel.

I feel so accomplished. I don't know why.:-)

ellen
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 02:58 pm:   

Wow, Congratulations Pat on finishing the ms Pat. Wahoo!!!

I bet I know whose bday party it is.

Btw, you should come over to my topic occasionally, there are some fun things going on (at times).

Mike
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 05:00 am:   

My excuse, this morning, is that we're in the midst of a kitchen-remodeling project. So far as I can tell, this excuses everything, including failing to provide an excuse here, halitosis, fallen arches, major apathy, and cruelty to nuns. I also happen to understand wherefrom Primal Scream therapy originally arose. And a rose is a rose is a rose . . .

La Cadigan
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 03:28 pm:   

Ellen--Yes, it was Steve Jones's birthday, and boy was he surprised. :-)

Mike, you are excused from *everything* for kitchen remodeling. I am completely sympathetic. I lived with a truly ugly kitchen for 13 years once rather than put myself through the ordeal of totally remodeling it.

Now, however, I am faced with a different kitchen that has its own problems. I'm thinking bulldozer...:-)

ellen
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 04:57 pm:   

Oh good! How many people showed up and where was it?

Pat, I know that kitchen. Bulldozer might work :-)

Laura Anne
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 05:24 pm:   

We're renovating everything in the house _but_ the kitchen. We keep hoping that if we wait long enough the kitchen will get fed up with being ignored and do itself overnight.

Hey. It could happen.

My excuse is very simple. I forgot. The fact that it generally happens to be the truth is just an added benefit.

La Diva Loca
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 11:21 pm:   

Ellen--It was at Val Edmunds' house and I don't know how many people showed up, but it was *a lot*. Ramsey Campbell and family showed up; Steve's mother was also there. It really was lovely.

Yes, you know our kitchen, only now it's worse. Due to extreme financial distress, we had to move our belongings to a smaller storage unit, which meant putting a lot of the boxes *somewhere*. So some of them are stacked in the kitchen, God help us.

Laura Anne--Hey, stranger things have happened, and some of them have happened to me.:-)

La Diva Loca
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 11:22 pm:   

P.S. For those not in the know, any posts listed as being from "La Diva Loca" are from La Cadigan. Pass it on.:-)

Liz
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 01:55 am:   

I had the kitchen done in the summer, and it was grim, but only 2 and a half days of grim. Admittedly, it is a very small kitchen. And now it's great!

Next stop, my bathroom. The plaster looks so bad it ought to be ringing a bell and shouting 'Unclean...unclean...'

ellen
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 10:42 am:   

Pat,
I think you mean Val and Les Edwards, right? Les is the horror artist.

Pat
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 05:10 pm:   

Hi, I'm not dead yet, but I am in the ninth circle of deadline hell. And general hell.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...

The Diva
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 03:35 pm:   

Actually, after you smoke me a kipper, put it in the blender and liquify it so I can drink it through a straw.

Having been preoccupied in the ninth circle of deadline hell--i.e., manuscript needs more words, stat! OK, 10,000 adverbs coming right up.

Do you have any idea how extremely difficult it is to add 10,000 adverbs to an existing manuscript?

OK, actually, it was 30,000 adverbs.

Anyway, as preoccupied as I was, I thought what I was feeling was simple deadline angst. But it turned out to be a fairly severe abscess, which had been worsening over a period of weeks. Today, the offending tooth was extracted while I was under sedation (so as to avoid the embarrassment of dealing with my usual reaction to entering a dentist's office--i.e., leaving the dentist's office as fast as possible while hyperventilating).

Anyway, hi, I'm not dead yet, and I've only got five more days on the antibiotic before I can take up martinis and/or red wine again.

Lost a bit of weight on the I-Can't-Put-Anything-Except-Air-In-My-Mouth Diet, though.:-)

ellen
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 03:45 pm:   

Oh Pat!! Dental horror. Oh no!! I know all about that.
Feel better soon. Ever talked to me about gum surgery? I'll be happy to do it over dinner some time.:-)

Liz
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 02:22 am:   

Absolutely feel better soon.

I have recently been to the State Torturer myself (and remind me to tell you about my salivary gland op sometime when we're all feeling stronger. Or perhaps not).

Liz

La Cadigan
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 02:45 am:   

Thanks, y'all. :-)

Ellen, I've had gum surgery. In fact, the tooth involved was a gum surgery survivor, lo these ten years ago, occuring as it did just before the San Francisco worldcon. I remember, in fact, that at some mass book autographing event we went to, someone had given me a chocolate brownie. Ow. Gardner kept offering me ibuprofen for the rest of the night and I kept trying to explain that my troubles were far beyond that.

Liz, Ow, ow, ow! Actually, I'm phobic when it comes to the dentist. I really can't help myself--some people are afraid of spiders or small enclosed space or small enclosed spaces that have spiders in them--I can't get near a dentist's chair without being sedated. They had to put me in the twilight zone and afterwards Chris had to cart me home in a cab.

But I'm all right. I have been under the exclusive nursing care of Miss Kitty, Queen of the Cats, who has spent a great deal of time lying on top of me and licking the affected side of my face--knowing, as she does, that it's important to keep it clean in order to reduce the risk of infection.

Today, it's back into The Twilight Zone. Literally. The new one, that is. My new novelization project involves two stories from the new series of The Twilight Zone.

Fortunately, it seems I'll be doing this with a lot of help from the cat, who has decided that the best way to help me type in my current condition is to drape herself over my left forearm.

Life goes on...

xtrang_bulate
Posted on Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 07:27 pm:   

ei! can someone please give me a complete list of adverbs from letters A to Z?? please!! i need it badly!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration