You Love Words, I Love Words Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Cadigan, Pat » You Love Words, I Love Words « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cadigan, Pat
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 04:55 am:   

I really do.

My new word today:

NEOTERIC: Recent in origin; modern

SYNONYMS: * fresh
* new
* current

Cadigan, Pat
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 04:59 am:   

Today's term, courtesy of The Word Spy:

inequity aversion

(in.ek.wuh.tee uh.VUR.zhun) n. An innate tendency to resist or react negatively to inequitable or unfair situations.

Earliest Citation:

We model fairness as self-centered inequity aversion. Inequity aversion means that people resist inequitable outcomes; i.e., they are willing to give up some material payoff to move in the direction of more equitable outcomes. Inequity aversion is self-centered if people do not care per se about inequity that exists among other people but are only interested in the fairness of their own material payoff relative to the payoff of others. We show that in the presence of some inequity-averse people "fair" and "cooperative" as well as "competitive" and "noncooperative" behavioral patterns can be explained in a coherent framework.
—Ernst Fehr and Klaus M. Schmidt, "A theory of fairness, competition, and cooperation," Quarterly Journal of Economics, August 1, 1999

Jim Thompson
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 01:32 pm:   

Countdown beckons...

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration