OK, This is the Bio Thing Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Cadigan, Pat » OK, This is the Bio Thing « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cadigan, Pat
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 02:22 am:   

To blog, or not to blog: it's crossed my mind a few times, but the last time I seriously considered it was a year ago. I was actually thinking that I could maintain something topical and interesting; I think I'd been reading too many Livejournals on livejournal.com. Some of them are really fascinating, but I don't understand where people find the time to write so well and at such length about their lives, while living them at the same time. It's all I can do to post something ridiculous under "welcome". And even then, I had to ask Jeff V how to handle the Username thing so I could actually post it.

I'm a hardware person. Software mystifies me, and web software mystifies me even more.

I guess this is the part where I introduce myself, but that's too weird. Besides, I firmly believe in the _in medias res_ principle--or, as Tiptree put it, "Start out 500 feet underground on a dark day AND DON'T TELL THEM."

Besides, I'm too busy. I'm working on revising _Reality Used To Be A Friend Of Mine_, due out next summer--2004, if you're keeping track (I'm not)--from Tor UK, and I'm getting ready to leave for the worldcon in Toronto.

Meanwhile, downstairs, my mother is hysterical again, and I haven't even told her yet that I'm leaving the country for a while. Actually, I shouldn't be traveling, but if we don't use up the free flight voucher we got from Virgin a while back (we gave up our seats voluntarily, back in the days when everybody still wanted to fly hither and yon), it will expire still virgin. Can't have that.

Hi, everybody. This is Pat Cadigan. I don't think linearly. I never have. You think you're confused? I once made a grad student majoring in Logic cry...a *guy*, too. That was a real left-brainer. I hope he's all right, wherever he is. All I can say is, Thank God for broadband internet and sites like Live365.com.

Actually, that's not all I can say. I'll come back and say more later.

Night Shade Books
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 03:32 am:   

You're a hardware person? I'll never understand hardware, never have. I've managed a multi-million dollar Oracle installation, but more often than not I can't get my cd-rom to work. Software for me, baby!

Welcome!

Jason

Jeremy Lassen
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 11:36 am:   

I'm with you Pat. Hardware is much easier to figure out. Round peg goes into round hole, square peg goes into square hole... etc etc.

People who design software interfaces try so hard to make it intuitive and easy that they inevitably make something that ONLY a 3 year old can use... witness windows XP. And don't get me started on Cell phones -- the user interface on those things are designed so that only 13-year-olds can use them intuitively.

Anyway, Welcome...

-JL

Jay Caselberg
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 01:47 pm:   

Pat, you should come back and say more later. To blog, definitely. It becomes somewhat like a Clute review.

ben peek
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 05:07 am:   

hello pat.

i think you should get a livejounal. they're cool. (i once heard them described as the journal for those who wear too much black, but i don't think that's a bad thing.) and you can turn them into a little news server by joining sydnicated feeds like the BBC and such...

so yes, livejournal.

(hello, again, btw.)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration