"Out of his Mind" Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Gallagher, Stephen » "Out of his Mind" « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stephen Gallagher
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2003 - 02:39 am:   

This is the title that's now been agreed for the short story collection, and here's the tentative lineup of stories. The arrangement of shorts and novellas is a deliberate reflection of those old Alfred Hitchcock anthologies of tales of unease/suspense, this being the dominant tone of the selection.

I'm in the middle of writing some endnotes, just a few lines about the background to each of the pieces.

Introduction by Charles L Grant

Stories
Magpie
Not Here, Not Now
By the River, Fontainebleau
Driving Force
The Visitors' Book
Little Angels

Novelette
The Drain

Stories
Old, Red Shoes
The Horn
Modus Operandi
The Jigsaw Girl
Fancy That!
Life Line
Like Shadows in the Dark

Novelette
No Life for me Without You, Vodyanoi

Stories
God's Bright Little Engine
O, Virginia
The Sluice
Poisoned
Casey, Where He Lies

Novelette
In Gethsemene

Afterword: In There

Ellen
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2003 - 07:24 am:   

Nice line-up, Steve. I look forward to the book.

Mark PL
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 08:01 am:   

Any word on a release date yet? I see Peter Crowther mentions it in his new NEWS blurb on his PS site as a forthcoming title. How forthcoming, though, he doesn't say.

And interesting you didn't include the original "Nightmare, With Angel", Stephen. I haven't read it and had looked forward to being able to compare and contrast. Ah well . . .

Stephen Gallagher
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 12:41 pm:   

No definite word yet... Pete originally had Spring 2004 in mind but when we talked about it we agreed to try to get it out before Christmas 2003.

Chris Moore has the cover art ready and I've delivered all the stories in rtf files. So there's cover layout, typesetting, intro and signature pages now to take care of.

You think you've got plenty of time until you start plotting it all out...

Stephen Gallagher
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 10:46 am:   

I should have added that the 'original' NIGHTMARE, WITH ANGEL is unconnected to the novel by anything other than the title. It was too apt and it fitted the novel too well, so I went with it.

My excuse is that Stephen King led the way with JERUSALEM'S LOT/SALEM'S LOT... kind of.

Stephen Gallagher
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 01:16 am:   

Signature sheets completed and returned to PS, as of October 2003.

paulette worth
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 10:23 am:   

Is the final lineup for this collection the same as detailed above ? Just wondered. I can't wait for this book to come out, some of these stories I have NEVER read before, and most not for absolute ages. Any news about a publication date yet - then I can get my hubby to buy me a copy (hopefully for xmas), thanks for reading, paulette.

Stephen Gallagher
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 05:38 am:   

Hi Paulette... sorry to make you wait for the reply, but as traffic on the board has been quiet of late I've been tending to check for new messages just once or twice a week instead of daily.

Yes, the above lineup is right. Originally I'd planned to include LITTLE DEAD GIRL SINGING from Weird Tales, but when both Ellen and Steve Jones picked it for their Year's Best collections I felt it unfair to take their money and then bring it out myself!

It was tough deciding on the lineup but it got easier when I applied a few criteria. I excluded the stories that I wrote for NIGHT VISIONS 8 as that was, in effect, a mini-anthology in its own right. Then I excluded anything that was straight sf, as it would have been at odds with the tone I was looking for. Finally I left out all but one story (DRIVING FORCE) where I'd taken on an American voice or setting... again, for consistency of tone.

I know that Pete was aiming to get the book out before Christmas but I think we may have slipped over into the new year, mainly because of the time it takes to get sheets signed and shipped back and forth and then co-ordinated into the printing... but if it has, it'll only be a matter of weeks. You can always check out the PS website or my own web page for any updates.

Stephen Gallagher
Posted on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 01:49 am:   

Apologies to all and I didn't like to say too much about the reasons why, but it's now become clear that Charlie Grant's illness precludes him being able to write an intro or sign sheets in the immediate future.

But I can announce that another of my writing heroes is ready to take on the job. Brian Clemens, whose place in the pantheon would be assured if he'd only ever been responsible for those classic seasons of THE AVENGERS but who's done so much more besides, is reading the stories right now.

Stephen Gallagher
Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 03:59 am:   

Just received a box of copies, August 2004. So I guess that means it's out!

rwexler
Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 08:07 am:   

I'd meant to post here last week that my copy came.

Robert

Chris
Posted on Friday, November 12, 2004 - 06:55 am:   

Just received my copy this morning - the good thing about being a small press publisher is that I can use my own books - in particular ten copies of Paul Finch's collection - to pay for this one via Cold Tonnage. :-)

Not had a chance to read any of the stories yet, but the cover is just superb and there's a nice solid feel to the book. The intro by Brian Clemens didn't do anything for me, and the after-word was interesting: so, it did happen then Steve?

Look forward to dipping into this collection at some point, probably next year if my reading pile is anything to go by... :-(

Stephen Gallagher
Posted on Sunday, November 14, 2004 - 08:58 am:   

so, it did happen then Steve?

If you're referring to the incident of the painted egg, it certainly did... although I can't say that it's made me a convert to all things weird and paranormal.

It's made my certainties far less absolute, though.

Chris
Posted on Friday, November 19, 2004 - 05:03 am:   

Steve, read "Not here, not now" last night: quite possibly one of the best last lines in a story I've read; and as someone who has been involved with two minor RTA's (thankfully, just metal crunching, no human damage) I could well empathise with the driver, and how my mind could be torn between the good and the bad thing to do.

I'd probably refuse to drive again if God forbid I hit a child - regardless of what book the Judge would throw at me.

Also read "Magpie" the previous night, which reminded me of being the fat kid and coming last during cross country runs in school... again, another great closing line but I prefer the above.

It's quite refreshing to come across this collection with no idea of your short stories - I just know of you from Oktober - but so far, I'm enjoying the read.

Stephen Gallagher
Posted on Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 12:54 am:   

Thanks for that, Chris -- having the stories out there in one set of covers is a really weird feeling, like having all your grown-up children come home at once. Not that I've got any grown-up children. Or that they'd want to come home if I did. But you know what I mean.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration