The Spirit Box Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Gallagher, Stephen » The Spirit Box « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark PL
Posted on Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 07:21 am:   

Hurrah!

Stephen Gallagher
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 12:32 am:   

Well, thanks. Subterranean's doing the honours and Chris Moore is doing the cover.

And it's thanks to Ellen Datlow that Subterranean got to hear about it -- she'd read it in manuscript and mentioned it to Bill Schafer at a convention breakfast. Bill, by coincidence, had just bought a story off me for RETRO PULP TALES... so he got in touch and asked to see the book, and we were away.

It's almost enough to make you believe in The Gods.

gcw
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 12:11 am:   

Yes, Hurrah!

So glad you have a full length book on the way after a too long gap..hope its the first of many more.

gcw

(Ramsey Campbell message board veteran)

Stephen Gallagher
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 03:51 am:   

(Ramsey Campbell message board veteran)

I've looked in on Ramsey's board a couple of times. A lively forum. I imagine its veterans having campaign medals and parades of the wounded!

gcw
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 05:25 am:   

Yes, we like a good debate over there!

Mostly friendly...come on over and join in the fun.

gcw

Mark PL
Posted on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 10:28 am:   

'Fraid you'll need a password and a large sword, Stephen; a hat's good, too. Something metal, can take a lot of battering.

I'm delighted SPIRIT BOX is finally finding its way into print. I heard you read a chapter from it in York a good four or five years ago, and it's been a bit frustrating to have to wait so long to find out what happens next.

And with the currency levels as they are, it's gonna be relatively cheap as well . . .

(Ay up, GCW.)

gcw
Posted on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 11:12 am:   

Ay up Lynchy.

Yes, Mr.Gallagher Sir..me n'Lynchy are your Number one fans!

Merherherher!..

S'Okay, we;re harmless.

gcw

Stephen Gallagher
Posted on Tuesday, February 01, 2005 - 02:27 am:   

Okay.. okay...

(eyes nervously search for nearest exit)

gcw
Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 11:05 am:   

Yeah! Don't panic...me n' Lynchy love your stuff..

Come on over to RCMB and slum it a bit, we have a good old chin-wag.

Seriously though, damned good news about The Spirit Box, I have a lovely looking copy of 'Out Of His Mind' waiting to be read, and am looking forward to getting stuck in.

All the best,

gcw

Mark PL
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 10:29 am:   

Stephen -- assuming you're not running for your life -- do you have an idea when SPIRIT BOX will come out? A season?

Stephen Gallagher
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 10:47 am:   

The moment I put a date to it, you can guarantee that the gods will step in... I've seen and corrected the proofs, and the deadline for the cover art is next month, so I'm thinking this summer. It's up for preorder on the Subterranean website but there's no date attached.

Mark PL
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 11:52 am:   

Thanks, Stephen. I won't tempt fate and curse you here, so I'll just say that I'll keep an eye on both the website and the stock exchange, see when the exchange rates are at their most favourable. I'll be the guy getting it wrong and leaping out of the window.

Stephen Gallagher
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 12:33 pm:   

I know what you mean. I think there's at least one online retailer offering the limited with a $6 saving but the price will still hover around the twenty quid mark. I would that it weren't so, but as with OUT OF HIS MIND, it's that or no book. And at least by assuring its entry into the world, it opens up the possibility of it being picked up for a mass-market edition.

In the weeks immediately following 9/11, no editor was prepared to countenance taking on a book so dark... had we known what was coming we'd have held it back, but the fate of one novel was the least of the world's worries back then.

gcw
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 05:19 am:   

Will you be releasing more books through PS Publishing Stephen?

I understand you have another book titled Painted Bride, any plans afoot for the release of this?

gcw

Stephen Gallagher
Posted on Thursday, February 10, 2005 - 05:40 am:   

No plans at the moment, but that doesn't preclude anything for the future. I took a look at THE PAINTED BRIDE and decided that its moment had passed... some of the ideas may turn up in other work and I may even use the title again in the future, but in that form I've let it go.

Mark PL
Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 11:46 am:   

I should just say that I wasn't referring to Sept 11th when I was talking about jumping out of windows, but financial disaster.

Pity about PAINTED BRIDE, though. Hope it can be cannibalised.

Stephen Gallagher
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 03:58 am:   

I just heard from Bill Schafer saying that he aims to slot THE SPIRIT BOX in November -- he would have scheduled earlier but he's releasing three titles a month, and November's a realistic rather than an optimistic target.

And on the subject of THE PAINTED BRIDE, there's a good novel at the heart of it but I screwed it up the first time around. I may yet return and redo it as the shorter, leaner work it always should have been.

The ideas I'll reuse elsewhere are the ones that I tried to work in when they never really belonged. So it's not quite as tragic a prospect as a cannibalisation!

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 07:42 pm:   

Steve,
Great to hear it'll be out this year.

Mark PL
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 12:33 am:   

Yes, that's good news. And thanks to you too, Ellen, for helping us get to read it.

The way the currency levels are in relation to each other at the moment, it's looking like even with postage overseas it's gonna be cheaper than a current UK no-frills standard hardcover, and probably, as it's a US produced book, with beter binding as well. Good stuff.

Must say that the major disadvantage with the limited editions is that you can't really read them in the bath (unless you've as much money as Gary CW). I don't mind dropping a cheap paperback in the water, but it's no fun to drop, say, a PS book in, hang it out to dry on the washing line.

Fingers crossed for PAINTED BRIDE or whatever it becomes known as.

Now. Off to dig my car out of the snow . . .

Mark PL
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 12:35 am:   

For the record, GCW mentioned on another message board he read his PS titles in the bath. I have not at any time witnessed him actually doing this, nor do I intend to.

Glad that's cleared up.

gcw
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 08:25 am:   

No No, Lynchy...yer got it all wrong mate!

Heavens above, I can't afford to risk PS books in the bath...I suffer from SAD and at the moment have a tendency to drift off to sleep whilst bathing...the cost of replacements would be horrendous.

I do read Fusing Horizons in the bath, but thats about it.

gcw

Mark PL
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 10:02 am:   

Ta for clearing that up, Gazza.

You got snow in the fenlands, mate? Had to open my car door today by pouring hot water over it. That seems to have perishsed the rubber seals. Natch, then the door locking mechanism was stuck so I couldn't get the door to shut and latch. Took down the washing line and tied it to the interior door handle, drove off like that, until the lock defrosted.

gcw
Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2005 - 07:58 am:   

Its bollock freezin' cold mate, i went out on a bender last night night and staggered in at 4am..It was the iciest n'coldest I have ever known...Very Midnight Sun (And as we are on Stephen's board - Follower too!)

Needless to say, i ain't been in to work today...ouch!

gcw

Mark PL
Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2005 - 10:07 am:   

Ah. In that state, fella, a light box wouldn't help your SAD, I'm afraid.

Happy World Book Day.

Mark PL
Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 10:50 am:   

If anyone in the UK's interested, SPIRIT BOX is available to pre-order with free shipping from Amazon UK right now. The price is 19-63, so it's worth getting in case it drops just below the 19 mark, cos then you'd have to pay shipping costs of 2-75. Public service announcement over.

Stephen Gallagher
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 01:22 am:   

I just heard from Bill Schafer that about two-thirds of the print run has sold ahead of publication, with orders still coming in.

That's actual customer sales, not bookstore sale-or-return, so if anyone's thinking of picking it up I wouldn't hang about.

gcw
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 05:27 am:   

I got mine ...But I fear my good friend Mark PL, is having trouble.

Lovely looking book, it is sitting on my cabinet, all new and shiny...I am savouring n'saving it for the Xmas break.

gcw

Stephen Gallagher
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 03:17 am:   

Sales have been such that it's out of print on publication, I've been told. I don't know how Amazon handle their pre-orders but it would be dim of them to screw up for customers who've clicked and placed their faith.

All may not be lost -- I bought ZEPPELINS WEST from a dealer and didn't pay over the odds for it.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration