Short Story Collection (2) Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Gallagher, Stephen » Short Story Collection (2) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stephen Gallagher
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 05:57 am:   

Hope I'm not treading on PS's toes in mentioning this, but Charles L Grant has confirmed for the introduction.
I've always maintained that my first sales to SHADOWS and to F & SF felt like the real breakthrough points in my professional career. Publishers bought my novels because, regardless of what they personally thought of them, they reckoned the books would make money. But Charlie Grant and Ed Ferman picked stories because they thought they were good. Their approval counted for so much more.

Stephen Gallagher
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2003 - 08:57 am:   

Happy to report that LITTLE DEAD GIRL SINGING made the cut for YBFH 2002.

Mark_pl
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2003 - 01:04 pm:   

Congratualtions, Mr G. Anything you can tell us about the other contributors to THE DARK anthology "Dr Hood" is in?

Stephen Gallagher
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2003 - 03:58 pm:   

No prob, Mark... You can find a full list of the stories and contributors for both YBFH and THE DARK over on the Ellen Datlow messageboard!

Mark PL
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 05:19 am:   

Ta.

That mean "Dead Girls" and "Dr Hood" won't be in the new collection of your shorts, then?

Stephen Gallagher
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 11:09 am:   

Hood definitely not, Dead Girl probably not. Hood was never on the list because Ellen's got a clear run with it as a new story. With Dead Girl it's more a matter of what feels like good showbusiness.

Nigel P
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 05:21 am:   

Hi Stephen,

Will The Sluice be in the short story collection? i read it in Narrow Houses and always liked it. It's my favourite of all your shorts that I have read.

Stephen Gallagher
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 02:33 pm:   

Yep, Sluice is on the list. The lineup is 99% determined and I'll post it when I'm completely certain.

Stephen Gallagher
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 09:45 am:   

I just heard today that LITTLE DEAD GIRL SINGING is also to appear in Stephen Jones' BEST NEW HORROR 14 -- I've crosschecked with both editors before committing, and both are fine with the situation -- and also that JAILBIRD FOR JESUS has been picked by Maxim Jakubowsky for THE YEAR'S BEST BRITISH MYSTERY STORIES.

I shall be unbearable at the pub tonight.

Ellen
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 12:07 pm:   

What's "Jailbird for Jesus?"

Mark PL
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 01:01 pm:   

Very not British, Ellen.

Another tale featuring the lead character from WHITE BIZANGO. Steve put it up on his website the month of BIZANGO's publication. Pretty neat little crime piece actually.

Ellen
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 08:49 pm:   

Thanks Mark. I'll have to check it out!

Ellen
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 08:58 pm:   

It's no longer on the site.

Stephen Gallagher
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 10:14 am:   

I'd reached the point where I had about half a dozen stories up there for free, and when the question of the collection came up I started to think that maybe I was letting the shine go off the goods were I just to leave in place.

So I've implemented a more parsimonious, one-at-a-time policy. Currently up is HOMEBODIES, excluded from the collection because it appears mostly as-is in RED, RED ROBIN.

And I *was* unbearable at the pub last night.

Mark PL
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 11:48 am:   

That chapter always felt like it had been "dropped in" to the book, I felt. It was like suddenly here's another voice altogether. Did you not think of rewriting it, Stephen, to sound more like the rest of the book?

And sorry, Ellen; I should've mentioned the story was only up for the first month of BIZANGO's publication.

Stephen Gallagher
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 03:19 pm:   

It was the seed of the whole thing but it also took place some years outside of the main story, so it was a conscious decision to leave it there like a little time capsule with a chunk of first-hand evidence in it... had I revised it further than I did, I don't honestly know what I would have done differently.

Stephen Gallagher
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 06:09 am:   

Been discussing title and lineup with Pete Crowther. Hope to be able to post both here soon.

Stephen Gallagher
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 07:14 am:   

See the new thread "Out of his Mind" for details.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration