Hi! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Gallagher, Stephen » Hi! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gary Fry
Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 01:26 am:   

Hey, all these sophisticated emoticons to chose from! But really, I'm new to this board - Mark PL tipped me the wink. Just to say, Stephen, that I've been told to read your work by readers more than I have many other writers, and I really ought to soon. I did tackle VALLEY OF LIGHTS and OKTOBER some years ago, though now I think it's time for maybe RAIN (been saving it for such a day, you might say). Will get back to you.

Gary Fry
Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 01:29 am:   

One other thing, Stephen: I realise that you are at present busy darn sarf, but I'm trying to arrange a Horror Club reading/signing in my native Bradford on behalf of the usual boys (Ramsey, Peter, Mark, Simon) - if I get it on, should I let you know? You were missed and mentioned in Leeds last month.

Stephen Gallagher
Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 01:57 am:   

Yeah, count me in... I hear the Leeds one went really well. I'd had to back out when a London meeting clashed and there was no prospect of legging it back up the motorway to be there in time.

Mark PL
Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 02:21 am:   

Hiya, Gary! Well done on making it.

Yeah, you'll like RAIN (I think). It's a ghost story . . . of sorts. One of my favourites of Steve's.

Did you get round to reading "Magpie"?

Mark PL
Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 02:30 am:   

(I'd just like to add that I accept no responsibility for any future posts Herr Doktor Fry might make.)

Gary Fry
Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 02:51 am:   

Ignore Mark, everyone; he's mere amoeba under my big black boot.

Having said that: every time I try print 'Magpie, it comes out blank. Will try again today.

jonathan briggs
Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 11:47 am:   

Hi, Stephen, I was rather forcibly reminded of yer story "The Horn" today on my way into work. I stepped out of my apartment and right into the storm socking the East Coast at the moment. I don't recall, did yer story mention the deep-seated ache you get in yer calf muscles when wading thru knee-deep snowdrifts? Admittedly, nothing malevolent was stalking me thru the storm, but then again, yer protagonist didn't have to suffer the indignity of sliding down a flight of subway steps and getting ice down the back of his pants.

Still hoping to hunt down a copy of "White Bizango." Take care.

Stephen Gallagher
Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 12:54 pm:   

>>nothing malevolent was stalking me thru the storm, but then again, yer protagonist didn't have to suffer the indignity of sliding down a flight of subway steps and getting ice down the back of his pants.<<

Where were you with this stuff when I needed it?

Most direct way I know of to get a White Bizango is through the PS website at www.pspublishing.co.uk . Amazon list it but from what I hear, they quote anything up to 6 weeks for delivery. Waterstones in Manchester had a stack of the paperbacks but I heard on Thursday it was down to 2 copies.

jonathan briggs
Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 01:21 pm:   

I'm hoping Shocklines (love those guys) will get another batch in soon. Save on overseas shipping. I did get a few of yer stories this weekend in onea the Night Visions books.

ARGH!!! Snow's gettin worse. I may be trapped at work now. There's a scary story for you.

JeffV
Posted on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 08:26 am:   

Also, I don't know if anyone's posted it yet, but there's an interview with Stephen on Alien Online. Very cool.

http://www.thealienonline.net/interviews/stephen_gallagher_feb03.asp?tid=3&scid= 24&iid=1409

Stephen Gallagher
Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 12:07 pm:   

I just heard from Sandy Auden (she wrote the piece) that the same interview has been picked up to run in the Crime Writers Association's newsletter. Major hubris explosion alert as I tell all those guys exactly how they ought to be doing their jobs...

Stay tuned to learn whatever revenge the gods have planned.

They can't be intending to screw with my career. The BBC's already taking care of that.

Gary CW
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2003 - 08:55 am:   

Where is this place Mark PL has brought us?

gcw

(Another refugee from Ramsey Campbell's place..)

Stephen Gallagher
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 03:49 am:   

Hi Gary. Welcome to the Twilight Zone.

There are five exit doors and they all lead straight back into this room...

Gary CW
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 07:39 am:   

Hello Mr Gallagher!

Me n'Lynchy are always dribbling on about how great you are over at Campbell's place - trying to convince Gary Fry of your genius.

Yours grovellingly

gcw.

Stephen Gallagher
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 03:33 am:   

Dribble on. Gary F will become convinced of the One True Way when the Voodoo Conditioning finally wears off.

Gary Fry
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 12:18 pm:   

Okay, okay, I need to read more of you, oh dark lord. I have RAIN in my room as I type (must get the roof fixed; but I jest).

Stephen, have you read NO EXIT by JPS?

Stephen Gallagher
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 02:36 am:   

Don't believe I have... want to elaborate?

Oh, wait a minute... I was just about to hit send when I realised that NO EXIT is the same thing as HUIS CLOS, which I read yonks back as a drama student under(iirc)a slightly different title.

Hell is other people, right?

Gary Fry
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 07:25 am:   

That's the baby! It was your 'five doors' comment above that precipitated my enquiry. Indeed these messageboard thingies raise the same issue: alone in a room with a PC, we necessarily trawl for others - Sartre's imperative.

Stephen Gallagher
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2003 - 02:30 am:   

The 'five doors' thing is an archetypal unease, I'm sure. There's a story of Ramsey's written when he was about 16 in which a character flees from a square in front of a church, only to find that every street and alleyway emerges back into it.

Then there's that AVENGERS episode, THE HOUSE THAT JACK BUILT, where every corridor leads Mrs Peel back into the same room.

And didn't THE CUBE play on the same fears? Except that in the last two, there's a mechanical explanation. It's scarier when there isn't.

Gary Fry
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2003 - 10:10 am:   

It's certainly a dislocation when circumstances appear to transcend space, yet it's worse when they also monkey with time. My idea of a true terror would be an out of body experience in which time and space and other people were somehow rendered irrelevant: the four things that I believe fundamentally constitute our very humanness. It wouldn't be an easy thing to write; should I have a go, do you think?

BTW, Stephen, I have a tale in Ramsey's new anthology GATHERING THE BONES. From what I've read of your work, I think you'd enjoy this, since it works in a similar manner. I remember a lovely little moral vignette in one of Steve Jones's collections - 'Not Here, Not Now' - that fiddles in the same universe, as it were. I'd be interested to read what you think of mine...

Stephen Gallagher
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 05:48 am:   

By all means have a go... the trick will be to find the accessible dramatic situation that sells the idea.

Who's doing the anthology? Go on, give it a plug.

Gary Fry
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 12:26 am:   

I don't generally require encouragement but here goes...

GTB

It's published by HarperCollins in Australia and the UK, and by TOR in the US.

Mark_pl
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 03:05 am:   

Gary? I've never thought to ask before, but is that the Australian cover or the US one?

Gary Fry
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 03:51 am:   

The Australian. Apparently the British version will be the same. Dunno about the US.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration