Forthcoming short story collection Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Gallagher, Stephen » Forthcoming short story collection « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark PL
Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 07:48 am:   

This might be an odd item to include in the short story collection, Stephen, but how about putting in "Jesus is a Killer Whale"? I really enjoyed the piece and I think it'd fit well. As for last story in the collection, it's gotta be "In Gethsemane", yeah?

Stephen Gallagher
Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 08:25 am:   

Spot on re IN GETHSEMANE/GETHSEMENE (when I submitted the story I seem to have gone for a spelling that's acceptable but considered a variant...) That was exactly the place I had in mind for it.

As for the Killer Whale piece... it's going to be hard enough just choosing from the fiction, without widening the field! At the last count I think there's about 250,000 to choose from (although I was thinking about including IN THERE, from DANCING IN THE DARK, as a kind of afterword. Havewn't discussed it with Pete, yet, though.

Stephen Gallagher
Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 08:26 am:   

Not 250,000 *stories*, of course... I meant to put 250,000 WORDS, obviously.

Stephen Gallagher
Posted on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 04:13 pm:   

Chris Moore's confirmed for the cover. There are two versions planned, a wraparound for the slipcased edition and a standard one for the mass-market hardcover. Length around 150,000 words, with a short preface for each of the stories.

Mark PL
Posted on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 11:00 am:   

Stephen, do you know if someone will be writing an introdution for the collection, or will you be doing that? I know Peter has Poppy Z Brite doing one for Ramsey Campbell's next collection.

And will the cover type for the collection be in the same style as that of WHITE BIZANGO? I like the light font very much. It would be nice to keep it running through the books.

"Mass-market hardcover"? That mean it won't be signed and numbered like the other PS titles are, then? Dare I ask how much the collection's likely to cost, or don't you know yet?

On teh content of the collection, wil it be a BEst of thingy, or will you be giving the book its own internal logic, if that makes sense. For instance, if you're using the piece from DANCING IN THE DARK as an after word, wouldn't the "Killer Whale" tale make sense as an introduction. If "In Gethsemane"'s the end tale, will it be mirrored (if you will) by something thematically similar.

My favourite short story collection in recent years is Jeff Noon's PIXEL JUICE, which works as a book rather than just a collection. You can read it from start to finish or just delve in here and there and enjoy individual tales.

Whatever, good luck with your selection of pieces.

Stephen Gallagher
Posted on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 12:22 pm:   

The introduction is by tba, that person who seems to be involved in loads of projects but never gets to finish one. Pete and I have discussed possibilities and he's onto it.

No idea about the type... but there's always more that needs to be said on the cover of a collection, so it'll mainly be a case of what does the job best.

I think the plan is for the slipcased h/c to be signed by me, the intro-er and possibly even the artist, while the non-slipcased will be signed by me alone. But all this may change -- it's really down to Pete, and it's still early days.

I've already roughed out a contents list after discussion with him, and I'm playing around with the order. I quite like the way the old Alfred Hitchcock collections were put together... bunch of stories, novelette, another bunch of stories... gives the whole thing a nice sense of pace.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 04:47 am:   

As a child I used to religiously read tv listings in the newspaper and the TV guide (which is why I know the titles and cast names from far more old movies than I should) and I remember being perplexed as to what tba meant for many years.
Ellen

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 04:49 am:   

When is the collection coming out and will there be originals?
Ellen

Joe Rattigan
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 08:37 am:   

Similarly, I used to think that 'may vary' was some exotic colour! Looking forward to the collection, good luck with it Steve.

Stephen Gallagher
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 10:35 am:   

Hi Ellen!

Pete's first thought for publication was Spring 2004, but now he's saying he'll put it out if it's ready sooner. PS can be pretty light on its feet, in that sense.

I'd like to include a couple of originals, but I don't just want to stick in a couple of old unsold pieces when everything else is the stuff I'm proudest of... so I suppose it depends on whether I can come up with the goods in the time allowed!

Stephen Gallagher
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 10:39 am:   

The National Trust in the UK produced a range of historically accurate paint colours for use in its country houses and stately homes. They had names like "Ointment Pink" and "Dead Salmon".

The weird thing is that in any modern context they'd look hideous, but in a historic property they look fantastic.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 03:04 pm:   

Steve,
Looking forward to the book,whatever's in it <g>
Hey everyone. He's got a great story in THE DARK, the scary ghost story antho I've edited coming out from Tor in October.

Stephen Gallagher
Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 12:38 am:   

And for obvious reasons you won't see it in the collection!

Mark PL
Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 05:15 am:   

I don't suppose there'll be a UK edition of the DARK?

Ellen
Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 08:32 am:   

Hi Mark,
I hope so but it hasn't been sold there yet.

You can buy books from the US on amazon.com--I've bought the British editions of Harry Potter on amazon uk in order to read them before the US edition is published and they've arrived within days.

Mark PL
Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 08:35 am:   

I know, Ellen, and thanks for that, but it's all such an inconveniance.

Er . . . do you actually like the Harry Potter books? I quite liked the first but couldn't manage the rest.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 11:33 am:   

Yeah, Mark, I do. I think the third one (I think it was that one) was the best so far. I'm enjoying them a lot. Not great art but fun.

Stephen Gallagher
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 04:10 am:   

If it's a faff to order from Amazon.com (I've always found them fine, it's only the cost of shipping that reminds you that the world isn't quite as small as a click can make it seem)then I'm sure someone like Andy Richards' Cold Tonnage Books will be offering imported copies.

I also hear that Rog Peyton has started up a mail-order business, now that Andromeda has finally folded.

I buy all sorts of stuff globally from businesses that somehow manage to offer low prices, free shipping, and *still* make the economics work. I get my Region 1 DVDs from www.boxoffice.com in Canada, my Region 2's from www.play.com in Jersey, and more exotic stuff from www.sensasian.com in Malaysia.

With books it's a bit trickier. Streetsonline.co.uk started out with free delivery but dropped it (and may now have dropped book sales altogether). And I notice that Abebooks have introduced a standard shipping charge that makes buying the odd paperback uneconomical... for me it worked better when the dealer charged at cost.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration