Kafka's BBC Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Gallagher, Stephen » Kafka's BBC « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stephen Gallagher
Posted on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 06:03 am:   

Last year I was commissioned to write an adaptation of a genre classic for the BBC. For reasons too complicated to go into, the entire project was thown into doubt the day before I handed in the script. A fast/final decision was promised; nearly two months later, I'm still waiting to hear.

Meanwhile I've had a call to ask if the same script can be used as a training aid for the new intake of trainee BBC script editors. Apparently it's a model example of the kind of script the BBC is always aiming to develop.

You couldn't make it up, could you?

Alan Hoe
Posted on Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 03:03 am:   

Would that be Dracula?

Stephen Gallagher
Posted on Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 05:26 am:   

I can't really say, and fortunately you can't see me nodding my head.

Mark PL
Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 01:05 pm:   

So what's the deal with this ITV version of DRACULA starring your man from Spandau Ballet? I'd assumed the version Stephen was writing had jumped channels. So I'm wrong?

Stephen Gallagher
Posted on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 02:56 am:   

Different project altogether, and not a writer-driven one. Kemp has one of those 'golden handcuffs' deals with ITV that means they need to find things for him to be in, and all the indie producers try to pitch suitable vehicles.

I started work on Dracula with producer Archie Tait early 2002; he had the idea of doing it, and I responded with a pretty radical interpretation that allowed a complete reinvention of the book without ever betraying it. I got a BBC commission in August and delivered the completed script in November.

Just as I was delivering, ITV announced the Kemp version and hired their writer that same week. The BBC hadn't made any announcement. The show's ready to go but I'm still waiting to find out what their plans are.

Nigel P
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 05:23 am:   

Hi Stephen,

I was always surprised that your episode of Murder Rooms was shown so soon after 9/11. Did you expect the piece to be pulled?

Stephen Gallagher
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 02:29 pm:   

I even suggested it, on the basis that it was about the suicide bombing of a public building. But they seemed untroubled, and it passed without comment.

I *did* have some trouble at the scripting stage... not from anybody on the production but from the 'compliance' office, who said I couldn't show the Fenians bombing a church because it was something the actual Fenians had never done. But I'd based it on a Fenian plot to bomb the Queen in Westminster Abbey, which was foiled and never carried through. There was a frantic week while I tried to locate the reference I'd been inspired by... the web page had been taken down!

In the end, Jamie Laurenson got confirmation from an independent expert and we were able to go ahead. But for a while it was looking as if I was going to have to relocate the finale to a waterworks. It was a spectacular backup location, but completely lacking in spiritual resonance!

Vanessa
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 08:17 am:   

Has anyone else noticed how, right after cancelling Murder Rooms, the BBC goes ahead and makes The Hound of the Baskervilles?

Couyldn't have anything to do with the director being the Head of Drama's husband, could it?

Mark PL
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 11:19 am:   

Ooh, cynical Vanessa.

Actually, the head of BBC drama must sleep around because there's some seriously dire stuff on TV at the moment.

Stephen Gallagher
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 12:26 pm:   

There's a follow-up to this thread in "How to get ahead in TV Drama"

Conrad Williams
Posted on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 04:19 am:   

Steve - hi. Sorry to jump out at you but I don't have your contact details. Wondered if you wanted to come to my launch in June... A few of the usual suspects will be there - it would be good to see you again. Email me and I'll send details. conawil@yahoo.com

Conrad Williams
Posted on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 04:23 am:   

Steve - hi. Sorry to jump out at you but I don't have your contact details. Wondered if you wanted to come to my launch in June... A few of the usual suspects will be there - it would be good to see you again. Email me and I'll send details. conawil@yahoo.com

Stephen Gallagher
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 01:40 am:   

Hi Conrad

Sounds good. What's the book? The world wants to know.

conrad
Posted on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 09:17 am:   

Nice of you to ask. The book is called *London Revenant*. It's about a guy with narcolepsy who suspects he might be involved in an unremembered life when he falls asleep. There's a secret underground tribe. And a serial killer who isn't a serial killer. And a bunch of friends determined to find forbidden places in London that you can't find on any map. The usual weird, warped stuff... Haven't you got a short story collection coming out from PS or someone? Saying that, there's probably a thread on here somewhere... I'll go look. Cheers.

Stephen Gallagher
Posted on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 04:10 am:   

Yep, it's the "Out of his Mind" thread.

Book sounds great. Good luck with it.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration