New Work Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Gallagher, Stephen » New Work « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stephen Gallagher
Posted on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 05:59 am:   

The newest work out is WHITE BIZANGO, from PS Publishing. This was originally intended to be one of PS's limited-edition novellas but it grew in the writing to around 50,000 words – the length of those old Dell or Gold Medal pb originals, whose style and pacing it was always intended to recall. When I'd passed the novella length and the story was still going strong, I suggested to publisher Peter Crowther that we'd have to discuss either cutting it or else I'd have to write him something else. But instead, he went with it as-is.

Joe Lansdale's written the intro and Chris Moore's responsible for the superb cover design, the background of which features a house based on photographs of Joe's… the original rough featured a tiny pair of butt-cheeks pressed against one of the windows, but sadly those didn't make it into the finished art. It's a knockout cover, though. Chris is one of the UK's top jacket artists; you may have seen his work on the Gollancz SF Masterworks series, where his most conspicuous stuff has been the artwork on new editions of Bester (THE STARS MY DESTINATION – IMHO still the finest of all SF novels) and Philip K Dick (promising lad, should go far).

There'll be a novella titled DOCTOR HOOD in a collection called THE DARK, edited by Ellen Datlow and appearing later this year. And for early in 2004, I'm in discussions with Pete Crowther about a short story collection… title, length, lineup all still tba.

Graeme Hurry
Posted on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 08:20 am:   

Hi,

I read White Bizango and read it at one sitting, which is something for me as I am a fairly slow reader. I must say it was creepy and enthralling right to the end.

The "teaser"-like beginning was a master-stroke. Just when you thought the whole book would be a conventional, and overused, frantic race to find a kidnap victim - he's found. Then the story starts. All the required setting up has already been done, and you're ready and willing to read just that little bit more - until, all too quickly, the book is finished.

Superb!

Stephen Gallagher
Posted on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 01:43 pm:   

Well, that's great to hear. That early pacing probably benefitted from the fact that I set out at a sprint, thinking that it was going to be a hundred-yard dash and then going the whole mile at the same velocity.

But I'm also a believer in something I heard Steven Spielberg say in an interview about the opening of RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK -- how he wanted the opening to feel like you'd just walked in at the climax of the movie before, then you allow things to slacken up a bit while you fill in whatever backstory you need, then you go for second wind and try to top what you did before.

If you're gonna steal, steal from the BIG names.

Mark PL
Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 07:46 am:   

BIZANGO's a corker. I managed to stretch it out to two evenings, but only by doing other things between chapters. Nice one, Mr G. I look forward to seeing the hero again.

You ever thought of writing a book in the present tense? I really think it would suit your voice, you know. I've just read Paul mcAuley's excellent SECRET OF LIFE and couldn't turn the pages quick enough. The present tense stuff just threw me over the pages.

Stephen Gallagher
Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 08:49 am:   

I do all my outlining in the present tense... keeps it fluid and informal. And in screenplays, or course, all the stuff that isn't dialogue is always present-tense as well.

Don't think I've ever tried it for prose. Maybe someday!

Mark PL
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 04:48 am:   

There's a review of WHITE BIZANGO up on thealienonline.

http://www.thealienonline.net/ao_030.asp?tid=2&scid=20&iid=1449

Nigel P
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 05:27 am:   

Hi,

I really enjoyed WHITE BIZANGO, which came through the post in a box so big I thought it was the telephone directory that had been delivered. pS really know how to pack their titles!

Stephen Gallagher
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 02:22 pm:   

In the early days Pete did all that stuff singlehandedly, but now he uses a packing company to send all the books out and they really do seem to take care. My author copies came interleaved in bubble wrap, with bubble wrap caps protecting the ends, and then the whole package was double-boxed. Every copy was immaculate.

Hodders always used to send theirs out unpadded in a single-thickness box, and every copy would be bumped and scratched. Then they'd be astonished if you complained.

Stephen Gallagher
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 04:13 am:   

Just heard that I've got a novella into Subterranean's GOD OF THE RAZOR anthology.

Also sold a story called THE BUTTERFLY GARDEN to PostScripts magazine, starting up sometime this year.

Waiting to hear on an ITV series called ELEVENTH HOUR. I wrote the pilot for Granada last year and we've been on tenterhooks for weeks waiting for the Network to decide on it. We seem to have moved from quibbles over the script to quibbles over the casting. Is that progress?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration