World Fantasy Award Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Gallagher, Stephen » World Fantasy Award « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 06:20 am:   

Stephen:

Congratulations on your World Fantasy Award nomination for "Little Dead Girl Singing"!

JK

Stephen Gallagher
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2003 - 12:51 am:   

Thanks, John -- I'm getting all my bragging in before someone else actually wins the award and thereby closes my window of opportunity!

Vanessa
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 02:17 am:   

I see that White Bizango is nominated for the August Derleth award as well. Congratulations and good luck with both of them.

Stephen Gallagher
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 08:05 am:   

I have this studied pose as a lone-wolf outsider who never wins anything. If that ever changes I expect I'll have to rethink my entire self-image.

Mark PL
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 10:35 am:   

Well I don't like to brag, but I did once win an Evel Knievel wind-up (uh, gyro powered it said on the box) Stunt Motorbike, complete with rubber Evel figure in a colouring competition in our local paper when I was a kid. I guess that makes me a prize winning something or other . . .

But good luck, Steve. Hope you do well.

Stephen Gallagher
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 04:00 am:   

Now you come to mention it, I won a battery-powered hovercraft with a cartoon in THE WIZARD once. Took so long to arrive that I'd long outgrown the comic when this box appeared on the doorstep, and I couldn't work out why.

Well, there goes my outsider status.

Gotta be philosophical. Unless an award's decided by a jury who stoically read all the material, it's a simple fact of life that those who vote in the ballots mostly won't have. Makes it a bit of a crapshoot. Fans of author X will vote for author X even though they haven't read the stories by Y and Z that they're placing him or her over. C'est la vie.

Mark PL
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 11:51 am:   

'Fraid that rather confirms all I'd ever thought about those awards. Politics, huh. Still, good luck.

IMHO
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 07:45 am:   

I don't know if Evelyn Wood's star pupil could read it all, but I've known a number of award jurists over the years, and the vast majority try and read as much as humanly possible. (For the long fiction, the large majority of books are often dismissed after only a brief reading to get a feel for the novel, since there isn't time to read every one front to back--not nearly enough time.) That being said, it's still a bit of a crapshoot because there's the individual jurists idiosyncratic tastes, and their perception of what deserves to win such-and-such award, etc. Obviously, the more personal knowledge a jurist has of an author, the more it can factor in (though I've _never_ known it to be a case of nepotism, vs. simple human nature to be either positively or negatively inclined on a subconscious level.)

I think the politics weigh in much heavier with the non-juried awards, where there isn't nearly the culpability of being one of five people who can specifically be blamed for the award winners. The Nebulas are seemingly more susceptible to politics, the Hugos more to the X-Y-Z scenario Stephen lays out above.

Stephen Gallagher
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 03:46 am:   

Yeah, in case I didn't make it clear, I was making a distinction between juried awards and those which are voted on by, say, all the attendees at a convention or the entire membership of a society.

In the latter, all kind of haphazard criteria are likely to come into play. You're exhorted to vote because a low poll does nothing for the credibility of the award, so if in a list of 5 works you see one that you've read and enjoyed, you'll probably vote for that even though you can't objectively assess its merits against the others.

I have no problem holding the simultaneous view that all awards are great and all awards are bollocks. They raise interest, they stir adrenalin, they encourage partisan debate... in short, they enliven the field. But the absence of an award does nothing to devalue any work.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration