Slicing Through Ninety-Two Pages of N... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Piccirilli, Tom » Slicing Through Ninety-Two Pages of New Testament « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Andrew Breitenbach
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 01:48 pm:   

Dear Mr. Tom Piccirilli,

Yesterday I read and enjoyed your story "Slicing Through Ninety-Two Pages of New Testament" that appeared in Ed Gorman's and Martin H. Greenberg's Berkeley anthology GUNS OF THE WEST. Nice to see Lamarr and Priest back in action -- their relationship feels like a nice looney spin on the already looney relationship of Lansdale's Hap and Leonard.

Anyway, the following might be too nit-picky, but it really distracted me when I read the story. On page 204, "Priest hurled the Bible at Deed's face" -- surprising him, to say the least. But then on page 206, "Priest hurled the Bible in the same instant as Gramps threw him the knife. The book flapped open as it hit Deed's chest [...]."

So, my question is, when did Priest pick the Bible up to again hurl it at Deed? From the text, it seems like he hurled the book, got out of the way of Deed's shot, flipped his grandfather his knife when he came bounding down the stairs, and then he hurled the book... again. When the latter happened, I was kicked out of the story on the penultimate page with the confused thought, "Ummm... he threw that already -- when did he magically get it back?"

Anyway, despite that, I can't wait for COFFIN BLUES to come out, that's for sure!

Also, any word on when your mammoth two-part story is due out in "Fantastic"?

Thanks! And please keep up the great work!

Best,

Andrew J. Breitenbach
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Pic
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 09:01 pm:   

Andrew, hm...sorry that the poor editing knocked you out of the tale, but glad you're a conscious enough reader to care about such things.

Not sure when "Gravesend" will be out...from what I hear now, they may run the entire thing in the next issue. But when that's due, I have no idea.

Thanks for the note.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration